preserving the scorpion exuvium

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I tried a clear epoxy spray, comes in a paint spray can. It works but little droplets would stick to the hairs. But several coats of it work OK.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just put it in a vial and keep it dry. I never heard of a "scientific way" to preserve these, maybe there is a method..

more_rayne

Arachnopeon
Yeah, what Michiel said. Keep them dry in some kind of container. I've kept dead specimens and exuvium in containers for years with no problem.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Ants wouldn't be my primary concern (a secure container will keep them out). The real danger is including some little mites or other scavangers along with the exuvium in the sealed container. I would suggest that in addition to the molt, you can include a silica pack to ensure dryness and a moth ball or moth crystal to kill any unwanted companions.

If you want, you can create a sort of shadow box arrangement with the extra components hidden. Just be sure it is sealed to the outside world.

Cheers,
Dave

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know this isn't within the scope of the thread, but it is kind of relevant, and I think funny.

I have a recent T. stigmurus exuvium "mounted" on a rock sitting on our fireplace mantle at our new house. Scared the heck out of Paige. She thought I had an escapee! Hehe. {D

freeman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They are arlready kind of preserved. As it was told before - just keep 'em dry and be carefull because they are bridle. Try to close it and put in a desired position before it dries up.

T.obscurus - female's last molt

death stinger

Arachnopeon
They are arlready kind of preserved. As it was told before - just keep 'em dry and be carefull because they are bridle. Try to close it and put in a desired position before it dries up.

T.obscurus - female's last molt

the picture below is the result that i am hoping to get the next time my scorpion molts, but the challenge is how to get the exuvium whole