preserving question

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
does anyone preserve their t's? and if so how? i'm interested in saving some of my t's once they die, i've heard certain types of alcohol would work well, and that formaldehyde would take the color out quick. but thats all i've read so far, any help would be very appreciated :) thank you

aliceinwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a mature male that died this fall sitting in my freezer. I'm planning to make a small incision on the undersite of the abdomen, remove the guts, and stuff it with cotton, pose him, let him dry and then put him in a Riker mount. I've done this in the past with other large soft bodied inverts and it has seemed to yield satisfactory results.

I was also told that if you have a frost free freezer, you can mount / pose soft bodied insects and leave them in an open container in the freezer for several months and that it will have just about the same effect as freeze drying. I don't have enough space in my freezer to experiment with.

Try doing some searches with the key word freeze drying and resin, too I remember some interesting threads in the past on these methods.

-Alice

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks everyone, i didn't know there was a search on here
i have a t in my freezer too, the one my cat got to, i don't know what i'm going to do with it yet my mom hates seeing it in there