Preparing an Enclosure for a Jumping Spider? Plus some questions.

JoyforJumpers

Arachnopeon
First off, hello! New to the world of spiders. I love Jumping Spiders and have recently decided to buy one, but before I do that, I want to make absolute certain that I have everything I need ready and prepared before hand. I want to be a responsible owner and since this would be my first pet arachnid, I want to make sure I research all about them and do everything right. I'm also having a hard time finding places online that seem reputable that sell Jumpers. I have found a seller on Etsy who sells Phidippus regius slings, and they have good reviews, so so far that seems like my best bet. Any tips though would be great.

What is the best enclosure size for jumpers? I've read that slings need smaller simpler enclosures (or ones with smaller holes) I've been looking at for adult jumpers possibly a Zilla Micro Reptile Habitat, but I have also seen enclosures like this https://i.etsystatic.com/20842784/r/il/269d8e/3174487774/il_794xN.3174487774_2ze2.jpg as well. If I get one with no décor I would buy some hides, corkboard, air plants, etc. I read that most people mist the enclosure to water their jumpers, what type of bottle is best? Would something you use to mist air plants work fine?

If you have jumpers, do you generally feed them in the same enclosure that they live in or do you move them to a separate container? What do you typically feed your adults? I've read that you can feed slings wingless fruit flies.

If I were to purchase two spiders, could their enclosures be placed side by side peacefully? Or would this stress them out being able to see each other since they're not really social besides breeding?

Is polymer clay once fully baked and dried dangerous for them? I see a lot of enclosure décor and climbs etc. made out of it, and while it's super cute I just wanted to check that it is safe.

Can you change things within the enclosure and add new things for them to explore? Would this be fine or would it stress them out to have a change in their surroundings?

Any tips or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Would this be better in the Terrariums and Vivariums forum? Didn't see it until now.

Nicole C G

Arachnoangel
Okay! So I’m new to jumping spiders too but have done hours and hours of research, so I will use what I’ve researched and what I’ve learned from my own personal experience.
What is the best enclosure size for jumpers?
It’s really up to you, but I would recommend an arboreal enclosure that’s a decent size. My enclosure size is about 3 1/2in by 3 1/2in by 6in. For my spider who, when she grows up, will be about 1cm in body length. Also about the Zilla Micro Habitats, DONT DO IT! Unless you get an incredibly large spider, it’s not a matter of if but a matter of WHEN they escape. I would know. I had one! She escaped within 30 minutes. They are nice quality enclosures, but not worth the possible escape. The enclosure I have now is similar to the one you have example on Etsy:
BB671251-1D62-4E2F-89DB-05017986A226.jpeg

I read that most people mist the enclosure to water their jumpers, what type of bottle is best? Would something you use to mist air plants work fine?
Doesn’t matter what kind of bottle. All you need to worry about is how well you can spray without spraying your spider! You also want it to be in droplets, not a fine mist.

If you have jumpers, do you generally feed them in the same enclosure that they live in or do you move them to a separate container? What do you typically feed your adults? I've read that you can feed slings wingless fruit flies.
Yes, feed them in the same enclosure. I’m sure moving them constantly every few days won’t be good for them. All you have to do is remove the food debris every few days!
I have a young jumper and I’ve only ever fed her flightless fruit flies. (She has also eaten some gnats from my mother’s orchid, but that was before I wanted to keep her. Never use wild caught prey!) however you can feed adults blue bottle flies, green bottle flies, house flies, small meal worms, small (feeder) roaches, crickets, and other common small reptile feeders. NEVER use beetles or ants or other dangerous insects or arachnids. When you feed them make sure you keep an eye on them if it’s something large or might hurt your spider such as crickets. And always take the crickets out if you are leaving the room. Also, don’t leave anything more than fruit flies in the enclosure overnight. They can disturb the spider’s sleep.

If I were to purchase two spiders, could their enclosures be placed side by side peacefully? Or would this stress them out being able to see each other since they're not really social besides breeding?
To be honest, I don’t know. I don’t think it would be that big of a deal, as they see themselves in the reflection of the plastic or glass all the time. But I’m not sure, so don’t take my word for it.

Can you change things within the enclosure and add new things for them to explore? Would this be fine or would it stress them out to have a change in their surroundings?
Jumpers love having new things to explore! However I wouldn’t do it more than once every few weeks. Adding things is best. try to keep from removing things as much because they could have made a resting place inside the decor. If you are wondering how to clean decor or what’s safe, there is a thread here that can help:

I have found a seller on Etsy who sells Phidippus regius slings, and they have good reviews, so so far that seems like my best bet.
It is against Etsy’s seller rules to sell live animals on Etsy. Even if they have good reviews, I don’t think it’s a good idea to help someone in doing something illegal.

Would this be better in the Terrariums and Vivariums forum? Didn't see it until now.
It seems to have equal amounts of questions about Jumping Spider care and Enclosure care so it would probably be good on either one! :3

Last edited: