Premolt?

symbiote

Arachnopeon
My 2” juvenile brachypelma klaasi has burrowed under a rock and has not eaten since i got her. It is very friendly, and allows me to handle it however I am In panic mode because I lost one small dubia roach .5” in the enclosure.
1. Do you think it is in premolt?
2. should i dig out the roach even if it might stress the T?

Attachments

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantulas are not friendly. Holding tarantulas can result in a dead one.
1.) I can’t see the tarantula enough to tell, its not a big deal if it is premolt.
2.) I would get it out.

If that is a rock the tarantula is under. I would get it out now, this can move when it burrows around and squish the spider.

symbiote

Arachnopeon
I have not handled it for about 2 weeks now, i have only had it for a month.
Thank you on the tip re: the rock. I will change it to a coconut or wooden hide.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It is very friendly, and allows me to handle it
They aren't friendly. I think you should read up on the animal you own before you kill it. All it takes is one time to kill a T when handling it. We see it ALL the damn time here.

Remove that roach.

Premolt is not relevant at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you on the tip re: the rock. I will change it to a coconut or wooden hide.
Cork bark works well if you can get some. If not the coconut shell or wood(depending on the type) should be fine.

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Good on you. Be strong, and if you ever feel like you have the temptation to handle, you can always call a friend or post on here for some encouragement/support.
Sometimes handling relapses can be the worst. We've all been there, you'll be alright.

Stemmy101

Arachnosquire
I know I'm not the first person to tell you this, but do not handle your T. All it does is stress it out, and endangers it's life (if you drop it or it runs off your hand it will die) for no good reason but for your enjoyment. Leave the poor thing alone. Sometimes they'll stay in their burrows for months at a time -- they are very reclusive animals in general. Get the roach out so it doesn't kill your T when it decides to molt.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
"Friendly" and "Tolerant" are two VERY different descriptions, and I think you've got them turned around a bit. A dog can be friendly; A tarantula can be tolerant, but it's 100% in the tarantula's best interest that you NOT handle it, ever.

Premolt has a few pretty obvious signs, but they're different for each specimen. You'll come to know your t on a level that will make it easier for you to know when she's molting. A higher level of lethargy than normal for her, a plump, shiny abdomen, an aversion to food so long as she's not being overfed (otherwise, that could just be "I'm not hungry"). All things you'll come to recognize as normal vs. not normal for her. Leave her alone, let her do her thing, she'll be fine. If she hasn't eaten the roach within 24 hours, and it's not in a spot where you can easily remove it, yes, you'll have to dig it out. A tarantula can remake a burrow, and get over the stress of a disturbed burrow, but the point is moot if she gets eaten by her own food. If/when you suspect she might be premolt, try prekilling (squish the head) once a week and leave near the burrow, and remove if she hasn't eaten within 24 hours. In my experience, as always :angelic: Good luck!!