Premolt Signs?

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
Hey, guys a couple days ago I posted a question about my sling. Until recently I noticed this bald spot. Does this mean its in premolt? I own an Avic. avic but thats full grown and this is my first sling so I'm kinda new to this. Thank you in advance

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hey, guys a couple days ago I posted a question about my sling. Until recently I noticed this bald spot. Does this mean its in premolt?
Tarantulas can develop bald spots on the abdomen even when not in pre-molt. For small slings, one sign that a molt is imminent is that the abdomen looks discolored (darkened) and swollen. I'm not as experienced with slings, but yours does look like it may be in pre-molt.

Tarantulas usually stop feeding in the days (or even weeks for larger individuals) before a molt. They may actively avoid the prey or just kill it without feeding on it. So if you're wondering whether your T might be in pre-molt, try offering food.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, a bald spot means nothing more than hairs were kicked. What it does is allow you clear view of the skin, which can show you signs.

A plump t will be light colored, often with s spot on the top of the rump...you will also be able to see the "heart", which is the dark line running down the center...this sling is plump, but not close to pre molt.
Eventually it will plump up and the skin will tighten, almost like a swollen tick. In the final stages, the skin will actually be shiny when hit with a flashlight...this is a sling in pre-molt, but not the latest stages. See how the skin is darkened and the spot on the top is starting to almost take over...eventually it will all be that black.View media item 38374

FishermanSteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As cold blood said, the easiest way to tell, especially on terrestrials that kick hair, is the bald spot that's normally tan will turn black. For a sling it may only take a few days to molt but for and adult it can be in premolt for a couple weeks.

cold blood

Staff member
One last thing this is the container I put it in, do you guys think this is a good size? Thank you
I would personally be using a condiment cup....like this....

At about an inch or a little more, I move them to a deli cup like you have......basic set up

A little more aesthetically pleasing.
But keeping it in there won't be an issue, it may just hide more....which IME can lead to slower growth...which is why I personally prefer condiment cups when theyre small.

Pokezilla1231

Arachnosquire
I would personally be using a condiment cup....like this....

At about an inch or a little more, I move them to a deli cup like you have......basic set up

A little more aesthetically pleasing.
But keeping it in there won't be an issue, it may just hide more....which IME can lead to slower growth...which is why I personally prefer condiment cups when theyre small.
Ok, my sling used to have a tan bald spot but now its black does that mean its in premolt? And I put a hide in the container its in