Premolt = scientific state?

Pepper

Arachnosquire
Im wondering if there is any scientific term for/idea of "premolt" or if its just used among hobbyists to explain why someone isnt eating, or has a bald patch. I almost never keep track of who doesnt eat, and Ts can have a bald patch for the majority of the time between molts. A Grammostola can go weeks without eating, then start back up again, and not molt for months. For these reasons, i have trouble with the term premolt. Can anyone illuminate me?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Im wondering if there is any scientific term for/idea of "premolt" or if its just used among hobbyists to explain why someone isnt eating, or has a bald patch. I almost never keep track of who doesnt eat, and Ts can have a bald patch for the majority of the time between molts. A Grammostola can go weeks without eating, then start back up again, and not molt for months. For these reasons, i have trouble with the term premolt. Can anyone illuminate me?
There are exceptions to the rule but most tarantulas in a premolt state exhibit very similar behavior patterns that they don't normally exhibit, regardless of species. --refusal of food, plump glassy abdomen, sluggishness, reusiveness, etc etc....sometimes all of the above or a combination of the above. It is very important or at the least super helpful to know when a tarantula in captivity is in a premolt state for a variety of reasons.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Yes, there is. Have a look at the Wikipedia page on ecdysis for a brief overview.

Pepper

Arachnosquire
There are exceptions to the rule but most tarantulas in a premolt state exhibit very similar behavior patterns that they don't normally exhibit, regardless of species. --refusal of food, plump glassy abdomen, sluggishness, reusiveness, etc etc....sometimes all of the above or a combination of the above. It is very important or at the least super helpful to know when a tarantula in captivity is in a premolt state for a variety of reasons.
I have noticed those behavior patterns in tarantulas not in premolt, and ive not seen them in ones that molt a few days later. I guess ill be able to tell with more experience, i have not really raised multiples of the same species at a time.
What is knowing that helpful for? Explaining why it doesnt eat sure, and with mating i can see it being really important. Anything else?
Yes, there is. Have a look at the Wikipedia page on ecdysis for a brief overview.
Of course wikipedia. Without too much trouble, can you give me a more detailed source pertaining especially to tarantulas? Off topic, theres a great metal album named Ecdysis, by Horrendous.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
I have noticed those behavior patterns in tarantulas not in premolt, and ive not seen them in ones that molt a few days later. I guess ill be able to tell with more experience, i have not really raised multiples of the same species at a time.
What is knowing that helpful for? Explaining why it doesnt eat sure, and with mating i can see it being really important. Anything else?
Of course wikipedia. Without too much trouble, can you give me a more detailed source pertaining especially to tarantulas? Off topic, theres a great metal album named Ecdysis, by Horrendous.
Yes. But when almost all of those behaviors coincide at the same time out of the blue----100% pre-molt.

It helps with feeding. Know when feeding is not necessary so you can keep them safe from prey and no need to fetch prey items out constantly because you know beforehand your spider won't eat/doesn't need to eat

Know when they should or should not be shipped as a huge number of spoods are acquired via package delivery.

And breeding like you said.

3 incredibly important reasons + many more.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Check out the Biology of Spiders by Rainer F. Foelix, it goes into detail about it.

Pre-moult describes behaviour, or explains a change in behaviour, when used by tarantula keepers. Technically, pre-moult would be the stage called apolysis, but this stage begins approximately one week prior to ecdysis. It's the stage of hobby pre-moult where moulting, or ecdysis, is considered imminent.