Premature moult after mating.

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
I've posted before about wanting to mate my N.incei. I bought a female for my mature male and she moulted exactly 2 months ago. I fed her up well and paired her with my male multiple times (3 successful pairings, possibly more). i then upped her humidity but kept her mid to high 70s. This morning when I checked on her she had moulted. this seems to me to be too frequent for an adult tarantula. Can anyone shed some light on the situation? Also my MM matured 09/07/2016, would he still be viable in 4-6 weeks when i try mating again?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Dwarves grow fast, so it's not unheard of. Not only dwarves do this - @louise f had a (I believe) T. gigas female molt just a few months apart from each other. I'm sure your male will be fine, you're lucky that he was a fresh male.

Last edited:

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Happens all the time. "Molted Out" is the term used. If the male is still alive and making sperm webs then it's possible to reproduce. That species is comparatively easy to breed. They usually drop a sac within a week to a month and eggs are quick to develop. Pull the sac at two weeks and you'll probably have first instars. These guys also double clutch so don't be surprised if she drops another sac after pulling the first one. ;)

Last edited: