prelude to molt or what?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not sure but to me it looks like my H.lividum is oozing/bleeding.She's oozing from the top of her carapace(near the eyes and around a few joints on her legs.She's just started this a.m.As of yesterday she was active and over the past few days was devouring crickets.She's now moved into her lair/shelter.Is this normal or should I start worrying.Just in case I've raised the humidity to appr. 80-85% and have the temps about the same.I've witnessed molting before but never this oozing/bleeding.She's still upright and on outstretched legs.What's happening.Anyone seen this before?...peace..

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Worry big time. If I were you I would see if I could stop it from bleeding, or you may have a dead tarantula on your hands. Any kind of blood loss is always bad, and no sign of a molt. Did your tarantula fall by chance or have it's encloser knocked over?

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No falling or knocking over of the enclosure.At most she may have climbed the glass and fallen but it's only like a 3-4" fall into a deep layer of verm/peat.It's not at all bleeding profusely but rather a slight ooze....weird..never seen anything like it nor can I find any info on it.Hopefully she'll flip and molt.I read they have a fluid under the their skin prior to molt to help soften and loosen it for the molt process.That's got me to wondering if maybe some is oozing out.Like I said it's at a couple joints on the legs and around the eye area on the carapace.One would think if it were to ooze out prior to molt that's where it would seep from....it's got me totally baffled and worried....peace..

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have only herd of couple other tarantulas doing this, the last one was T. blondi. It comes from where the legs joints meet right? I would still think about using some nu-skin or such on the leak.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
probable molt

Well returned home from work to find my H.lividum in her shelter with webbing covering the entire bottom of the shelter substrate.Looks like just maybe the oozing is maybe a prelude to molting.The oozing itself seems to have subsided and dried to a scab texture.She's still up on all her legs and seems alert.Hopefully over the next couple of days she'll molt.I'm still keeping the humidity and temps up a bit just in case.Seems to be helping.I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now.....peace..

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah...i'm goin with jwb121377 on this one...i don't think thats any sign of a pre-molt....and if it is, then thats some freaky stuff..i'd be pissing my pants if i saw one of my T's doing that.

Risto

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just an update on my H.lividum.She never did moult and the oozing she was experiencing totally stopped.She's eating,active and giving me attitude.I'm going to put it down to rough handling during shipping.I'll be doing/have been doing a lot better inspection before purchases.She was in a small delicup and I was quite nervous to open for a good inspection.She was one of the first T's I got and her reputation had me quite nervous.I'm not nervous of any of them now...respectful would be the better word now..lol...peace..

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It's not necessarily "blood."

Before my lividium went into her "pre-molt death experience" she was COVERED with something moist and sticky. Now I am wondering... do lividiums "leak" their exuvial fluid before they molt.