larsen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry my bad writing, i am from Norway:8o

Attachments

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thats HAS to be gravid for sure...you can tell when the "plates" on the back start getting huge spaces in between them like that and they start to plump up really large like that!

Risto

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hadrurus scorpion females are known to get VERY plump and not be gravid, so I wouldn't put money on this scorp being gravid unless I could see the young inside the mother in developmental stages with a flashlight or watched the male and female breed. Even watching tham breed, I would be somewhat skeptic.

adios,
edw. =D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That being said, they are one of the easier ones to possitively identify as gravid by "pseudocandling" (look, ma, I coined a term). They have quite a light membrane and are pretty big.

Cheers,
Dave

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh i see how it is guys...pick on the less knowledgeable teenager...=D

Risto

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would agree that H. arizonsis females tend to eat a lot in captivity, and get plump as a result. I don't really know about the S. mesaensis, however. It has been my experience though that the females of almost all scorpion sp. I've owned have eaten their fill consistently, even then they're not gravid. I was convinced that one of my female emps was about to give birth (she was huge) until a few weeks ago I caught the end of a mating dance! You really can't be sure just by looking at a scorp--that is, unless you use the 'pseudocandle' method. And both sp. in question should be big enough, and light enough in coloration, for you to do so.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my h.arizonensis looks similar too. i dont feed it an excessive amount, but over the last week or so i have noticed that it keeps getting bigger and bigger. now im not sure if mine is gravid or not, and i even tried the flashlight thing, but im not sure if i can see any babies inside it. but if i go and check on it one day to find babies on its back, i will be sooooo happy :)

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I wasn't picking on anyone. I was just stating a fact so that the, as you called it, "less knowledgeable", would know.

adios,
edw. ;)

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol well put.

and edw, clean your friggin PM box!=D

Risto

Last edited:

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
That being said, they are one of the easier ones to possitively identify as gravid by "pseudocandling" (look, ma, I coined a term). They have quite a light membrane and are pretty big.

Cheers,
Dave
ok Dave, ya got my curiosity up.......how do ya "pseudocandle" a scorp? put it in a container and "candle" it like an egg?
Ed

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sounds complicated if you ask me...
but then again i'm the most unreliable sorce for scorps.:D

Risto

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You ever shine a flashlight through your finger and it glowed red? heheh.. Not too complicated...

eeeeeeeeeeeek! I didn't realize I had a HUGE number of sent mail still in there. heheh... Well, now that it's all fixed...

adios,
edw. =D