Pregnant flinders range scorpion

The humble alakazam

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. I got a pregnant flinders range scorpion about 2 weeks ago. They told me it was going to have babies in about 4 weeks. Just wondering What kind of environment i should be keeping her in. Im using coco peet with some peet moss at the moment. Im use to having scorpions bit not pregnant ones. So any help would be gteat.
Thanks in advance.

Lubed Tweezer

Arachnolord
That scorpion is called a Urodacus elongatus. It lives in the Flinders Ranges of Australia, it's a semi-arid mountain range with mostly rocks and sand.
It's best you simulate the conditions of that Flinders area in summer, temperatures 30°C+ during daytime.
U. elongatus normally hides under rocks, so that would make a good hide.
Once the scorpion has ejected the scorplings, make sure the humidity is not too low.
40-60% relative humidity should be fine. When you notice the first scorpling molting into i2, raise the humidity temporarily until all scorplings have finished molting.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
It's also Australia's largest scorpion (or longest - the males have very long thin tails and the females have short tails). Just leave the mother scorpion be and she'll look after her babies until they molt to 2i. then they'll come off her back. It usually takes around a week or two.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I've bred Flinders in fairly large numbers, even though the Flinders ranges seems very dry, the scorps are mainly found where there is a bit more moisture- gullies, lichen encrusted areas etc which hold humidity better, so as @Lubed Tweezer stated a reasonable amount of humidity is needed.
A good substrate mix is 2/3 Coco fibre to 1/3 coarse sand/river sand, but just do what works for you.
Once the scorplings are on mums back avoid any huge humidity changes, they will probably stay with her for 2 to 3 weeks. She will probably fast during the piggy back stage but you can try pre killed crickets.
Seperate the scorplings from her once they are mobile (usually I take mum out and use a tiny paint brush to remove the last couple that don't want to leave home) I normally keep them together for a while and just feed cricket pieces twice a week and never had cannibalism issues. One interesting thing I noticed is that scorplings raised in an excessively high humidity environment will turn very dark coloured whilst those kept drier tend to be much lighter in colour.