Pregnant Emperor

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello. I've had arachnids for a long time now, but I finally got around to getting my female emperor gravid several months ago. Recently she has become visibly gravid, and now she seems as if she's going to burst at any given moment. However, her behavior has changed radically. She's fasting, which I hear is typical. BUT.. for some odd reason during the night she props her self up against the glass and she also does laps around the tank. What do these behaviors mean? Is something wrong? :eek:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Do you have a heat lamp on the side where she prop herself up or is it random? It it is that side then maybe she is seekin warmth. They like it about 85 and humid(80%). Many of my scorps do this from time to time...I usually assume they are searching fro prey if its at night. Usually they are. They also do this for a few days after I put them into a new enclosure.

If yours is fasting I'm not sure why she would be doing this..I never had an emp give birth before so I don't know if that is normal for emps.

John
];')

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Actually, I don't have a heat lamp, I use an undertank source. She just runs around and will prop herself up against the glass for a moment, run around the tank a few times and do it at another corner, and she does this for hours... I tried to feed her while she was doing this, and she kept refusing food.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not holding my breath about the babies, she's looked like this for a while. She only does the odd running around at night. She doesn't favor the heated or unheated side. It's quite odd. The male just nonchalantly switches between the two.. He doesn't even feel threatened by me anymore, when I'd feed him he would jump at me and try to sting, but I would draw my hand out of the way faster than he could sting. Now he'll actually crawl up on my hand. She, on the other hand, will jump and try to sting and everything no matter what I do. And I very rarely have contact with them.. I just think something is up with the female.