Prefilled for adults?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Na, I only really do it for slings that are tiny or shy eaters.

Besides, I like watching my larger Ts murder things to death too much to remove that part of feeding lol.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Heck no. Once they're over an inch, they eat live.

I'm actually not sure that they will scavenge past a certain size, though.

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unless theyre the size of my pinkie nail or smaller my ts eat live prey

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
I'm just curious to see if anyone else prekills their T's food, even as adults?
Also, autocorrect sucks.
No, and I see absolutely no point in doing so. Sole exception might be a sick T that's unable to hunt or something.

In the wild, no one's crushing their food for them either, they gotta hunt it down.
Considering that they're doing this successfully for half a billion years now, I really don't worry about it. ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I crush the heads of my dubias just so they don't burrow. I wouldn't call that prekilled prey, because they still kick and fight back. Even my slings get this same treatment.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I crush the heads of my dubias just so they don't burrow. I wouldn't call that prekilled prey, because they still kick and fight back. Even my slings get this same treatment.
This is what I do as well. If you feed dubias you pretty much have to.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
I'm just curious to see if anyone else prekills their T's food, even as adults?
Also, autocorrect sucks.
I give dubias a good pinch on the head. On occasion I will buy adult crickets and I always introduce them to my T's enclosures unharmed. It's nice to mix it up sometimes and I really enjoy watching them hunt.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive fed prekilled to juvis up to sub adults. i always leave a prekilled meal in a suspect premolt spiders cage. just to make sure.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
No, and I see absolutely no point in doing so. Sole exception might be a sick T that's unable to hunt or something.

In the wild, no one's crushing their food for them either, they gotta hunt it down.
Considering that they're doing this successfully for half a billion years now, I really don't worry about it. ;)
Captivity is different than the wild. In captivity the animals and their prey are confined to a small living space, whereas in the wild the prey can go wherever it wants to. This can lead to conflict which can kill the T if it is about to molt. Considering that some Ts (Chilobrachys fimbriatus) will eat or at least kill prey up to a day before they molt, and that the prey can easily kill a molting spider, I prekills my T's food items.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Considering that some Ts (Chilobrachys fimbriatus) will eat or at least kill prey up to a day before they molt, and that the prey can easily kill a molting spider, I prekills my T's food items.
That's why I take any prey out again if the T's show no interest for one reason or another. Problem/risk solved.

I also heard about all these poor dead T's dying to feeders since I started this hobby - yet never have I heard about an actual case.
Not that I'd risk to find out but it strikes me as an overblown 'problem' to be honest.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I also heard about all these poor dead T's dying to feeders since I started this hobby - yet never have I heard about an actual case.
Not that I'd risk to find out but it strikes me as an overblown 'problem' to be honest.
Search the forums, it has happened and more than a few times. It's usually juvies and slings that I have seen mentioned but it could happen with larger ones since they can take so long molting. Why risk it if it's easy enough to fix? If you're tracking your Ts molts you know as the time approaches and you just go a few prekilled. No harm, no foul, problem solved.

I'm actually not sure that they will scavenge past a certain size, though.
They will. I've fed "Prekilled" to about every T in my collection (from slings to full adults) at one time or another.

I chuckle at the whole -- Ts kill all their prey in the wild idea. A T will scavenge food that was killed by something else or died on it's own. No, they don't have a human to drop food conveniently beside their home in the wild. However, other animals can leave leftovers and if they come across suitable dead prey they will eat it just fine. Most animals will scavenge.

Sometimes it's just better and easier to feed prekilled IMO.

I feed Dubias so I crush their heads like most who feed them.