Precious, is Home!!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I brought the Theraphosa blondi/burgundy, that was at my LPS, home today. I placed Precious into her enclosure, right in the middle. She sat for a few minutes, then started to move toward the burrow I made. She just made a B-line for it, slowly (fluke, or did she see it?). Explored the opening a bit, then slowly made her way down inside. The burrow is a 4" PVC tube cut to about 15" long and slanted about 30 degrees. I would imagine she will be there for a awhile as she prepares for her next molt; hope its soon. The name was a suggetion made by one of my students. I thought it was perfect; A monster 8-10" hairy spider with 1.5" fangs dripping with venom, Precious, just Precious. They don't come any cuter.
blondi home1.jpg

IMG00104-20101106-1301.jpg

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Luv your T. I learn so much on here, I never would have thought about using a pvc pipe as a hide! Thanx for posting.

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:clap:

Gorgeous T!

And the PVC pipe is a really interesting idea. I didn't realize you could prepare something for them to use as a burrow I thought they had to make their own.

willshela

Arachnopeon
I brought the Theraphosa blondi/burgundy, that was at my LPS, home today. I placed Precious into her enclosure, right in the middle. She sat for a few minutes, then started to move toward the burrow I made. She just made a B-line for it, slowly (fluke, or did she see it?). Explored the opening a bit, then slowly made her way down inside. The burrow is a 4" PVC tube cut to about 15" long and slanted about 30 degrees. I would imagine she will be there for a awhile as she prepares for her next molt; hope its soon. The name was a suggetion made by one of my students. I thought it was perfect; A monster 8-10" hairy spider with 1.5" fangs dripping with venom, Precious, just Precious. They don't come any cuter.
View attachment 86965

View attachment 86966
Wow is that your pet? I dunno if that is a big spider or a scorpion.{D

------------

handicap stencils

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Definately a burgundy! Nice find in a LPS though. Just keep the humidity, temp, and ventilation up and you'll be fine.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Definately a burgundy! Nice find in a LPS though. Just keep the humidity, temp, and ventilation up and you'll be fine.
I think I have it set right.
:clap:

Gorgeous T!

And the PVC pipe is a really interesting idea. I didn't realize you could prepare something for them to use as a burrow I thought they had to make their own.
They are opportunistic burrowers. In the wild they take advantage of tree rots, existing burrows, and sometimes dig their own.
Your LPS has Blondis. I'm jealous.
I would go in and talk Ts with her, and one day she decided to order a few Ts, 2 rosea, 1 OBT, 1 T. blondi/burgundy to see if they would sell.
Wow is that your pet? I dunno if that is a big spider or a scorpion.{D

------------

handicap stencils
She is the class pet now, along with the 13 tarantulas (part of Grammostola pulchra breeding/study I am doing) in the classroom.

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
When T's or other spiders for that matter have babies, is the ratio of males to females 50/50, or relatively close to it, like in several other species? Or are there 5 males for every female. Just curious. Tried to find the answer in a search before I posted but no luck.
A thread on that is here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=195240

Lets keep this thread about the bondi. Thanks.
Edit: the simple answer is yes. The long answer is there are too many variables to predict reliably. ;)

Last edited:

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Hey snow, you stole my identity ;P
I did luck out with this one. I believe her to be WC I hope she stays healthy.
LOL! Copying is a form of flattery ;P . So do you think she may be a Blondi?

P.S.
I think the Pulchra you sent me is going to molt into a jet-black color pretty soon. He/she's been digging everywhere and has a REALLY dark area on his/her opisthosoma

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
LOL! Copying is a form of flattery ;P . So do you think she may be a Blondi?

P.S.
I think the Pulchra you sent me is going to molt into a jet-black color pretty soon. He/she's been digging everywhere and has a REALLY dark area on his/her opisthosoma
I don't know. Depends on which forum you ask. But, Fran says she is a T. burgundy (spinipes); as do many others here.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
School, She's a beauty!! :} Good luck with her. :clap:

I decided to go with a T spinipes sling this time after my w/c big girl died in the problematic molt. Other than that, she was apparently very healthy and not skittish in the least- but did not like to be bothered. The only possible stress factor that I can think of was that my apt is rather small with no room to keep her away from areas of moderate to high foot traffic, etc.- one reason I'll personally buy no more "known" wildcaught- at the very least until I move to a larger house. I would imagine that you have more room to give yours the peace she needs than I do. I hope she does well for you. :)

My little one is very skittish but growing fast. I'm hoping to have more luck this go around by it's frequent exposure to human interference from an early age. We'll see! :D

Terry

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Precious molted, AGAIN!!!!!

Precious molted back on January 7 2011; she just molted again today, exactly 20 weeks from the last molt. :?

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! Seems like Precious lucked out and went to a great new home. :) This post is making me wish I could pick up the "Goliath birdeater" (probably a T. stirmi) at my local reptile shop, but I really don't have the means (nor the space) right now.