Pre-molting

parsephoni

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!
Sorry to be a nag about this, but how long is this pre-molt stage suppose to last? My Chilean Rose has been doing this for over a month and it's driving me nuts!! :confused:

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi everyone!
Sorry to be a nag about this, but how long is this pre-molt stage suppose to last? My Chilean Rose has been doing this for over a month and it's driving me nuts!! :confused:
Could be another day, could me a few more months. I have a female thats been i pre-molt for a few months now. With a rosea, or many oher T's for that matter, its pretty much over when its over. Just be patient and let your pet do what its gotta do. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What exactly has it been doing thats driving you nuts?

Anyways, pre-molt lasts from a couple of days to a couple of months. With G.rosea it is unpredictable. I had a G.rosea that was in pre-molt for a 5 days before it molted, another that took 2 months to molt. There is no exact time, patience is your friend.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi everyone!
Some tarantula pre molts last for months.

some last for weeks or days....You just have to be patient...I don't think you can pinpoint a certain date.

Like one of my H gigs has been in a pre molt for at last a month and a half. i'm sure its in pre - molt because it blocked off its entrance and laid down a mat....so now I just leave it alone and be patient.

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine hasn't eaten since January 18th. *shrugs* Some of them do this, just because, some are in pre-molt...

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Impatient people are in trouble if they decide to buy a tarantula. {D It might be another five months. Heck, it might be a year, who knows.

parsephoni

Arachnopeon
What exactly has it been doing thats driving you nuts?
Mostly her crankiness is what's getting to me. I just won't touch her at all when she's usually such a sweetheart about being handled. And also, I know most people say that G. Rosea's are like pet rocks, but she's always been pretty active by either cleaning herself compulsively or taking some kind of bizarre stance daily which I have decided is some form of interpretive dance. She's quite a character. But lately, she's been so lethargic, introverted and just over all kind of mean. She's my first pet t., so I'm not really sure what to expect...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well they also can get stressed from being bugged to much. The every now and then handling is ok but if you overdo it they can get stressed out.
I bet shes gearing for a molt let he be some and see what happens. This new pet you have it mainly meant to be watched.

parsephoni

Arachnopeon
Well, it's not like I hold her for hours a day :D I just pet her and once in a while hold her over her vermeculite.
I've heard the typical "don't touch your t. unless you have to" view, but The Tarantulas Keeper Guide by Schultz has some pro-safe-handeling opinons for very good reasons.