pre molt habits

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if anyone has ever noticed any strange habits that scorpions have before molting. My female emperor has been coming out of the burrow and just standing very high in one spot. . From time to time she also jerks her tail in strange motions sorta like dusting the dirt around her.

sorry for the bad quality, but thats her she's usually never lifting her self that much off the ground. I was wondering if this is a sign that she is soon to molt.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if shes sitting under the IR light with her body arched up then shes just regulating her temperature.

red fury

Arachnopeon
sorry to be a nut buster, but im a noob to keeping scorps, what are their pr-molt (if any) habits?

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's called "stilting", and yeah, it's just to regulate heat, all of my current scorpions do it.

And I just had a Hottentotta Hottentotta molt a few minutes ago and I was looking at it and "playing" with it during feeding of other scorps and it seemed really drunk sort of. Like throwing it's tail in random ways and almost falling over, kinda funny but yea, that's a good way of knowing they're about to molt.

red fury

Arachnopeon
awesome, thanks for the info! off topic here, but anyone know if scorps "hate" certain types of music? i was playing some trance lastnight and on of my females decided she was gonna go hunting (for lack of a better word) for the source.... only one of the three had any sort of reaction or was this just a random scorp act?

Chrome69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Music with high bass screws with their sensory hair structures, so if they are hungry it'll either trick them into thinking food is somewhere or it'll make them hide from a storm. It's not the kind of music, it's the vibrations from it.

red fury

Arachnopeon
Music with high bass screws with their sensory hair structures, so if they are hungry it'll either trick them into thinking food is somewhere or it'll make them hide from a storm. It's not the kind of music, it's the vibrations from it.

the thing was, i was on my bed with my lap top, and the music was barely audible.... and.... there were 6 crickets in the tank for them to munch on.... only she didn't go after them.... but thanks for the info i'll have to keep that in mind since i usually listen to very bassy music