Pre molt doesn't get more obvious than this, but....

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So check this out, I received a female B.albopilosum last week and somehow in shipping she lost her front right pedipalp :( anyways she had a bare rump with a bright flesh color till last night when like a light switch it turned black like real black almost synthetic like haha. Think the rapid change could be due to the lost limb or what? Take a look.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It might, she seems very well fed.

I don't know how this works in terrestrials, but I do know my arboreals are more prone to injuries in premolt. They stumble around and fall all over the place, so she might have lost it because of premolt.. But as I said, I have most experience with arboreals in premolt, so someone else will have to fill in here..

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Projecht13, Looks to me to be normal "heavy premolt". Hopefully it'll regenerate somewhat of a stub for you on the palp. If this soon, it may well mean that it was lost well before shipping. Either way, good luck and she's a beauty ! :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When the abdomen turns black and shiny like that, the tarantula is going to molt very soon. I have been trying to watch for this rapid change and keep track of it and the subsequent molt in our Ts(which are all slings/ juvies) and the longest any of them took to molt after this change was 6 days. The change can happen in a day/ hours, so it isn't out of the ordinary and it doesn't mean that anything is wrong. Just sit back and prepare for the flip! Remember not to disturb it and give it at least a week before you try and feed it. :D

Last edited: