Pre molt? B. Boehmei.

boringgrip

Arachnopeon
Hi there!
I just want you to check on my first T. It is a mexican fire leg. I have fed it last week with 3 mealworms (2 worms thursday and 1 friday) and after a week i have tried feeding it with mealworms as this is my only feeder atm. it hasn't touched any of the worms i gave. I dont also see a sign of pre molt. My T is 1.5'' in size. It Tried digging the retreat calm shell i gave it then it still always outside. Im just worried if it is stressed, sick or anything. Im much concern because this is my first T. IMG_20190831_001729_HDR.jpg

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pre moult is nothing to be concerned about! Why are so many concerned about that? Impossible to say if it is in premoult, looks little dark though, so it is not impossible. If spiders in this genus doesnt eat, it doesnt automaticly means pre moult! Brachypelmas are notorious for being picky eaters, even juveniles. Just stop feeding it for a week or 2 and see if it takes food then. If it becomes darker on the abdomen, and eventually black, swollen abd shiny. It is surely in premoult!

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
First off, welcome to T keeping and to arachnoboards!

While the photo is a little grainy, personally that does look like premolt to me, as I believe I can see a distinct difference between black hair and black shiny exoskeleton on that abdomen.

Regardless however, that spider will be just fine to go without food for a while as long as water is provided. Nothing to worry about, the abdomen looks a healthy size, if they don’t take food just try again in a week or so.

If you’re still seriously concerned feel free to post full enclosure pictures and plenty of folks on here can let you know if anything needs changed.

boringgrip

Arachnopeon
Pre moult is nothing to be concerned about! Why are so many concerned about that? Impossible to say if it is in premoult, looks little dark though, so it is not impossible. If spiders in this genus doesnt eat, it doesnt automaticly means pre moult! Brachypelmas are notorious for being picky eaters, even juveniles. Just stop feeding it for a week or 2 and see if it takes food then. If it becomes darker on the abdomen, and eventually black, swollen abd shiny. It is surely in premoult!
Hi! Thanks for replying,

I am just maybe concerned and excited as it its just my first T. and I know you know that feeling of having your first T. too! May I also ask are these Sp. really slow and lethargic? they seems to move so slow after I have fed it for a week. Have not even saw it go near the water dish in the enclosure. Should i also change my feeder or just stick with only mealworms? , Was also thinking to get another T as i have researched these sp are slow growing and i think i could handle another two T.s any suggestion?

sorry if have too many questions :)

First off, welcome to T keeping and to arachnoboards!

While the photo is a little grainy, personally that does look like premolt to me, as I believe I can see a distinct difference between black hair and black shiny exoskeleton on that abdomen.

Regardless however, that spider will be just fine to go without food for a while as long as water is provided. Nothing to worry about, the abdomen looks a healthy size, if they don’t take food just try again in a week or so.

If you’re still seriously concerned feel free to post full enclosure pictures and plenty of folks on here can let you know if anything needs changed.

Hello!
Thanks for replying this is a big help for me as a beginner on this hobby.
Would like to also ask how many weeks will it fast to molt?
I will post a pic or maybe a video of the enclosure i guess it is pretty small for a 1.5" T. to tell you the truth it is just 12" long and 3 to 4 inch wide height is also 3 inches.

Also, any thoughts why it dig the hide and just always staying outside?

Hi guys sorry if i took too long for me to reply. i think its in premolt. Here is the pics. Would also like to know if my enclosure set up is ok for a juvenile.

Thanks in advance for your response

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Hi guys sorry if i took too long for me to reply. i think its in premolt. Here is the pics. Would also like to know if my enclosure set up is ok for a juvenile.

Thanks in advance for your response
I would add a water dish and change the hide to cork bark, that's the only thing I would change

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I would add a water dish and change the hide to cork bark, that's the only thing I would change
This!

And yes, that T is in serious premoult. :D It'll probably be moulting very, very soon (in tarantula terms). Just leave it alone and make sure the water dish is always full.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, its pre molt....theres nothing to do but wait...no need to continue to feed.

Mealworms are fine feeders.

All ts get lethargic in the late stages of pre molt...perfectly normal.

boringgrip

Arachnopeon
I have a water dish, i just remove it so for the T. Pic

Yes, its pre molt....theres nothing to do but wait...no need to continue to feed.

Mealworms are fine feeders.

All ts get lethargic in the late stages of pre molt...perfectly normal.
Is it ok if i rehouse it?? My girlfriend bump it and all the bottom substrate are now wet as the water dish also tumbled, and that is also why the hide is like that, i was so furious that day

Last edited by a moderator: