Pre made pvc burrow

tristan4033

Arachnoknight
Hello, I am either getting an Arizona blond adult or a g. Rosea adult, I have a large rubber made container I am using (proper ventilation of course), it will have about 5 inches of substrate in it. Would it be ok to make a pre made pvc burrow for the tarantula, I won't be using any glue or pvc cement on it just putting the pieces on.

Thank you

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Neither of those species are burrowers so no need to make one. However, you should provide a hide. Maybe plant pot or cork bark

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Be careful if you cut the PVC because it can slowly release chemicals that can kill your T. I read about it in another post a week or so ago. I agree with @KezyGLA though, a hide would be better suited.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Be careful if you cut the PVC because it can slowly release chemicals that can kill your T. I read about it in another post a week or so ago. I agree with @KezyGLA though, a hide would be better suited.

What was the source of this information? Someone providing data, primary literature, or second hand info?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
What was the source of this information? Someone providing data, primary literature, or second hand info?
As I said, it was a different post on the forums. I don't remember who said it but I'm sure a simple search could bring it up.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As I said, it was a different post on the forums. I don't remember who said it but I'm sure a simple search could bring it up.
Thanks, I'll check w/Jeff I believe he's been talking about this. I've already been searching ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
There's quite a bit of info out there regarding heating PVC. Even the manufacturers recommend that caution is used when burning or heating it. Where there doesn't seem to be a lot of info is whether cutting PVC is safe. I personally don't think it is - as I said in another thread, I lost a few slings after offering a cut pipe. Now, it was all from a single pipe, meaning that it could have been something else. I also used a Dremel to cut it, meaning that it was more of a melt than a cut anyway. Regardless, I won't be trying it again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's quite a bit of info out there regarding heating PVC. Even the manufacturers recommend that caution is used when burning or heating it. Where there doesn't seem to be a lot of info is whether cutting PVC is safe. I personally don't think it is - as I said in another thread, I lost a few slings after offering a cut pipe. Now, it was all from a single pipe, meaning that it could have been something else. I also used a Dremel to cut it, meaning that it was more of a melt than a cut anyway. Regardless, I won't be trying it again.
I would be very, very surprised if cutting PVC as I do w/a coping saw causes continual outgassing.

Heating I'm fully aware, learned that one many years ago. Any plastic heated is bad news IMO.