PRAYING MANTIS PEEPS PLEASE HELP!!!!

thicci nikki

Arachnopeon
I have a baby praying mantis, I’m new to caring for one,it’s a normal green one. It was doing just fine this week I’ve cared for it but I made it a bigger enclosure with moss from my garden and it stayed in there all night and day. I went to check on him because I started to worry and he was laying upside down. I finally got him out carefully and it’s still alive thank god but it can only move its front claws and head. He’s casually cleaning his claws but I’m so worried.... WHAT IS HAPPENING??!

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
Probably dehydrated/starving. Enclosure isn't suitable at all. Moss might have had insecticide or something else on it.

Mantids need an enclosure at least 3x their length to moult. They need a branch/mesh to hang from to moult. If they don't have that they won't be able to moult.

thicci nikki

Arachnopeon
Probably dehydrated/starving. Enclosure isn't suitable at all. Moss might have had insecticide or something else on it.

Mantids need an enclosure at least 3x their length to moult. They need a branch/mesh to hang from to moult. If they don't have that they won't be able to moult.
I feed him twice a day and yesterday he ate as well and I’ve made sure he’s had water, which concerns me even more. I’ll immediately change it. How about this enclosure??

UPDATE
I was checking up on him and he reached his claws towards my fingers so I let him climb on me and as he’s been resting on my arm I’ve noticed his back limbs starting to twitch and he’s been moving his bum a bit. Good signs??

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
I feed him twice a day and yesterday he ate as well and I’ve made sure he’s had water, which concerns me even more. I’ll immediately change it. How about this enclosure??

UPDATE
I was checking up on him and he reached his claws towards my fingers so I let him climb on me and as he’s been resting on my arm I’ve noticed his back limbs starting to twitch and he’s been moving his bum a bit. Good signs??
For clarification is the mantis wild caught from your yard? Have you literally offered the mantis water on a toothpick or similar? Seen the mantis actually drink?

thicci nikki

Arachnopeon
For clarification is the mantis wild caught from your yard? Have you literally offered the mantis water on a toothpick or similar? Seen the mantis actually drink?
Yes I give him water through this eye dropper thing. And no he was in my house, and the Room I had found him in had just been painted and refloored, refurbished etc. so i Assumed he was born in the house

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yes I give him water through this eye dropper thing. And no he was in my house, and the Room I had found him in had just been painted and refloored, refurbished etc. so i Assumed he was born in the house
Probably the fumes off the paint/varnish have had an effect on him. If you have honey you can put some on a toothpick and let him eat it.

I'd take him out of the house though into fresh air.

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I agree with basin79, the enclosure should be 3x the length of the mantis and without all that moss and stuff and take it outside. You really only need some twigs / branches (bake it for 10 minutes) for it to moult on.

What did you feed it ? Maybe try to very lightly mist a some water ?

thicci nikki

Arachnopeon
Probably the fumes off the paint/varnish have had an effect on him. If you have honey you can put some on a toothpick and let him eat it.

I'd take him out of the house though into fresh air.
Ok, thank you so much..

thicci nikki

Arachnopeon
I agree with basin79, the enclosure should be 3x the length of the mantis and without all that moss and stuff and take it outside. You really only need some twigs / branches (bake it for 10 minutes) for it to moult on.

What did you feed it ? Maybe try to very lightly mist a some water ?
Amphids and nats

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
There are multiple factors that could’ve led to this, overall your husbandry requires some revision. It could be the conditions of the setup you kept him in (a tall, well ventilated deli cup is far more suitable).
Amphids and nats
Wild caught prey could be contaminated with pesticides, pathogens, etc. Store bought feeders are far safer

feed him twice a day
That’s too much, once every couple/odd of days will suffice.

The new enclosure is an improvement but could be a bit taller, try a well ventilated deli cup. You can get them cheap on amazon/EBay.

Keep us updated!

thicci nikki

Arachnopeon
There are multiple factors that could’ve led to this, overall your husbandry requires some revision. It could be the conditions of the setup you kept him in (a tall, well ventilated deli cup is far more suitable).

Wild caught prey could be contaminated with pesticides, pathogens, etc. Store bought feeders are far safer

That’s too much, once every couple/odd of days will suffice.

The new enclosure is an improvement but could be a bit taller, try a well ventilated deli cup. You can get them cheap on amazon/EBay.

Keep us updated!
He died.. 😔 rest in peace to my bby. Thank you all for the help anyways. I really appreciate it and will use it in the future.