Praying mantis - HELP ASAP!!

Zevil

Arachnosquire
Adult mantis will not molt anymore. You were being given wrong information. In my case, I started keeping mantis with 5 L1 Asian mantis. Now I have 5 orchid mantis, 1 devil's flower mantis, 5 Chinese mantis, 6 ghost mantis, 5 dead leaf mantis, 7 Indian flower mantis and 5 spiny flower mantis.

The best way is to get a few at the same time. They are fragile animals, especially the first two instars so you might want to get more just in case you made mistakes.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its hard to know an exact lifespan, but generally a mantis will live around a year, two if you're very lucky. If you're brand new, getting a later instar nymph like 4-5 might be the best option.(similar to getting a juvie tarantula rather than a sling) And no worries on questions, ask away :)
...thx so much!!

So, since my sons bday is Saturday, so I don’t have time after all to order the mantis...

...so I’m going back to that same pet store and buying some (2 or 3 different ones) of the nymphs. I’m going to give my son all three for his bday and tell him he has to show us he’s interested and can care for them (the ones they have in stock are what the employees are calling “dwarf ghost mantises”) before we get a bigger, more expensive one...

...best last-minute plan I could come up with, especially cuz my son is only turning 4. I know I’ll do most of the husbandry, but he’ll get to learn something new at least!

Thanks for all you help!!!!

Rooroo38

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if anyone could let me know how long it takes a Dead Leaf Mantis to moult? I’ve never had a Mantis before and I think she is about to moult but she hasn’t eaten since Monday and STILL hasn’t moulted!! I’m really worried. The humidity is at 70% and I have 25watt heat bulb. She’s been hanging upside down and barely moving for 3 days. I tried to feed her the other day, but she just attacked it but to push it away. I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you 😁

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Sounds like she's in premolt, the larger species can take a couple months to finally reach adulthood or molt. Also, what instar/how big is the dead leaf? I'm assuming it's a deroplatys sp and if it is, this species isn't really a heavy feeder and won't eat as often and maybe she's just not hungry.

Rooroo38

Arachnopeon
Hi. Thank you for answering. She’s a desiccate and she is currently a L3. She was due to moult last week, as her sibling did too. If she isn’t a big feeder, she maybe waiting for her abdomen to shrink enough? She has fed well up until this point. She’s drinking, which is a relief. I’ve attached a picture of her taken on Sunday. Thank you again 😁

Attachments