Praying mantis - HELP ASAP!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My son turns 4 on Jan 12th, 2020. And he’s crazy about praying mantises!

2-3 days ago, my husband and I went into a local exotic pet shop to take a look at the Ts (ended up bringing home 2 P. sazimai slings, as they were 3/4” and $6/ea!!! What a deal!! But I digress).

We also planned on getting my son a mantis and the only one left was this gorgeous AF Orchid Mantis (Latin name/species unknown to me - I'm a huge mantis noob and this would be the 1st I had ever had). They explained how to take care of it, feed it, etc. and since it was only $35, we decided to get it.

Fast forward to today (2-3 days later): I woke up to feed the cute lil girl since she had refused food the prior times I tried to give her a meal. I picked up the container and... she was DEAD!!!

At the pet shop they said she was the only one left and she was an adult female so in 2-3 more molts she will be fully matured and after that she would probably die within a few months (a year, tops).

So, now I’m here, being a big fat loser cry baby and sobbing because my son’s perfect gift is gone... and I don’t know know where to get him another one...

So, does anyone out there know of some good websites/members here on AB to purchase a beginner praying mantis species and supplies?

If so, PLEASE, message me... I’m separate here and so very inexperienced I don’t even know where to start!!

Thanks to all that can help me out (and all that at least read this post with good intentions)...

Thank you all, again!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are any of the below selected praying mantis a good choice? We just want one that’s pretty hearty, and that is not so sensitive it’s going to just up and die on us like the last one...

35761D67-76F6-43A1-9BA3-A6B5BD39FEA6.jpeg
5D410B30-6AA3-402B-880A-8E54A91BB0E4.jpeg

C4BD2D36-C7D0-4FE0-B27F-A35F317A2292.jpeg

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We also planned on getting my son a mantis and the only one left was this gorgeous AF Orchid Mantis (Latin name/species unknown to me - I'm a huge mantis noob and this would be the 1st I had ever had). They explained how to take care of it, feed it, etc. and since it was only $35, we decided to get it. At the pet shop they said she was the only one left and she was an adult female so in 2-3 more molts she will be fully matured and after that she would probably die within a few months (a year, tops).
"AF Orchid Mantis?" If she was an adult female, then she was done molting. Unlike female tarantulas, who continue to molt throughout their lifetimes, winged insects do not molt again, once they've reached the adult stage. It sounds like the shop may have given you bad information. Either she was not an adult - or she had already matured a while back, in which case she was done molting and may have already been down to her final days, depending on how long ago she had molted.

There are quite a few mantis species that do well as pets, but since this is your first, I'd recommend staying clear of the pricey (and sometimes difficult to keep alive) exotics and starting with something hardy. The native mantises - and introduced European and Chinese mantises - are pretty easy to keep and can often be caught in your yard or garden (or purchased at expos). Exotics that are usually reasonably priced and do well in captivity include Deroplatys sp. (dead leaf mantises), Sphodromantis lineola (giant African mantis), Rhombodera basalis (Asian shield mantis) and Hierodula membranacea (giant Asian mantis) - or close relatives. These also get pretty big, which is usually a big hit with the kiddos.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That sucks!! I guess they want to get rid of the old ones so they look for newbie suckers like me...

Do you have, if you don’t mind me asking, any other breeders/sites I could buy from? I’m at such a loss!!

Really, thanks so much!! @chanda

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Anything Rhombodera or Hierodula are pretty easy to keep. My only concern is they can be a little food aggressive, I've had rhombodera chew on me before, so handling can be iffy with certain specimens.
Well, we wouldn’t let my son actually feed it, just be there to watch. And not tong feed it. THANK YOU!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"AF Orchid Mantis?" If she was an adult female, then she was done molting. Unlike female tarantulas, who continue to molt throughout their lifetimes, winged insects do not molt again, once they've reached the adult stage. It sounds like the shop may have given you bad information. Either she was not an adult - or she had already matured a while back, in which case she was done molting and may have already been down to her final days, depending on how long ago she had molted.

There are quite a few mantis species that do well as pets, but since this is your first, I'd recommend staying clear of the pricey (and sometimes difficult to keep alive) exotics and starting with something hardy. The native mantises - and introduced European and Chinese mantises - are pretty easy to keep and can often be caught in your yard or garden (or purchased at expos). Exotics that are usually reasonably priced and do well in captivity include Deroplatys sp. (dead leaf mantises), Sphodromantis lineola (giant African mantis), Rhombodera basalis (Asian shield mantis) and Hierodula membranacea (giant Asian mantis) - or close relatives. These also get pretty big, which is usually a big hit with the kiddos.
Come to think of it, she did have 2 prior molts left in the cup when I bought her..,. Grrr

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Here are the 2 molts that were still in the container w her (phone pic isn’t the best I circled them - two separate molts):

7859DB9E-771E-4D59-957E-CEAE2A789D8D.jpeg

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Now comes the 2 next biggest questions: price and size...

...of the posted pics above, are the prices decent? And I only deal with tarantulas, so I don’t know the size/growth patterns of mantises...

Thank you all for coming to my rescue!!!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sucks!! I guess they want to get rid of the old ones so they look for newbie suckers like me...

Do you have, if you don’t mind me asking, any other breeders/sites I could buy from? I’m at such a loss!!

Really, thanks so much!! @chanda
I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for online purchases. I usually just catch my own mantises or buy them from Steve Sims - the guy that sells Cricket Crack - at our local SoCal expos, if I want something exotic. (I believe he does the local Repticons, but not the Super Shows.)

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for online purchases. I usually just catch my own mantises or buy them from Steve Sims - the guy that sells Cricket Crack - at our local SoCal expos, if I want something exotic. (I believe he does the local Repticons, but not the Super Shows.)
Regardless, I appreciate this so much! You guys are so wonderful to come to my rescue!! I’m so grateful!!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think I might go with the Hierodula majuscula... any opinions?

92187583-218D-4797-8D12-D390D3BAED94.jpeg

Any strong opinions against this species?

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
One last question... if I go with the below species and it’s an “adult female” (as it says), and how long does an H. majuscule female live after maturation?
This is what the internet says:
E4964C54-F91D-4661-9859-215A7C83D0AC.jpeg 0659CDE6-2E91-4634-AEF8-DD4D8DC58C5F.jpeg

So I would only get ab a year out of it if I bought it as an adult female? Don’t know what size it will be when shipped to me

...??

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
One last question... if I go with the below species and it’s an “adult female” (as it says), and how long does an H. majuscule female live after maturation?
This is what the internet says:
View attachment 330435 View attachment 330436

So I would only get ab a year out of it if I bought it as an adult female? Don’t know what size it will be when shipped to me

...??
You’ll get a couple months to a year out of an adult female if they’re just recently matured. An adult female will not grow anymore, and will live out the rest of its life at the size you receive it.

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You’ll get a couple months to a year out of an adult female if they’re just recently matured. An adult female will not grow anymore, and will live out the rest of its life at the size you receive it.
I’m so sorry to ask such stupid noob questions, but how do I know the lifespan if I get a nymph or juvie, and what’s the best age/size to purchase one if I’m the super newbie that I am? What’s the best “age” to get one in?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I’m so sorry to ask such stupid noob questions, but how do I know the lifespan if I get a nymph or juvie, and what’s the best age/size to purchase one if I’m the super newbie that I am? What’s the best “age” to get one in?
Its hard to know an exact lifespan, but generally a mantis will live around a year, two if you're very lucky. If you're brand new, getting a later instar nymph like 4-5 might be the best option.(similar to getting a juvie tarantula rather than a sling) And no worries on questions, ask away :)