PPQ 526's for Millipedes

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Hello all, some of you may have seen/heard of @The Mantis Menagerie's awesome work with the USDA/APHIS on matters of legality as it pertains to insects (mainly native beetles) and exotic millipedes. In late 2019/early 2020 I decided to follow his lead and apply for four PPQ 526 permits; two for isopods and two for millipedes. I will discuss the millipede permits here, but not the general application process.
My millipede permits were much more ambitious than The Mantis Menagerie's (TMM for simplicity), simply by number of species/genera/families involved, and therefore I was a bit worried that I had maybe overdone it (later I realized I messed up and didn't include enough species/genera/families, ha ha). TMM reassured me however that this shouldn't be a problem, as the APHIS officials consider each species for what it is and whether it is appropriate for your level of containment. So, I sent it off, and began waiting. About a month or two later, I received a message back from the APHIS ePermits program and was asked to provide information and pictures relating to my "containment facility", which is a bedroom, as well as the Standard Operating Procedures. This was a part in the journey that neither of us expected, and TMM had not encountered (as far as I know this was not something he had to fill out). Then again, the species on his permits were carefully selected so as to avoid having to set up a "containment facility", while for myself, in my excitement, I had given less thought to the idea. I was given thirty days to respond, otherwise the application would be voided. Needless to say I ended up turning it in on the last day, after quickly tidying up the room and taking pictures of everything in it, including the enclosures I was planning on using; it was not your standard containment facility. A large bed occupied part of the room, book cases were in nearly every corner, multiple racks sprawled with enclosures and aquariums, plus a desk and clothes closet/drawers, amongst other things. I have added my Standard Operating Procedures below, based off the framework provided by APHIS, which were typed hurriedly but still with an attempt of professionalism.

After sending this off I was more concerned than ever, as this was new ground. Another month or two passed, and much to my surprise, I found that the permit had been approved with only one species being rejected (which was fine because it was a duplicate, incorrectly spelled name from the APHIS database)! All that was left to do was accept the permit along with the guidances that came with it (I have also attached the guidances below), which was done promptly. And just like that, I was cleared to acquire, keep, and breed around 60 species/genera/families of exotic millipedes. The catch: they had to come from sources within the United States of America (and only the lower 48), Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. Now those last two are fantastic because quite a few species I had applied for occur naturally there (like Anadenobolus arboreus), but for species that are not yet in the US hobby and are not found on those islands, this is a problem. Hence the aforementioned 2nd permit, which would allow me to receive all the same species from Europe, Asia, Oceania, and the rest of North America (later I realized I should have included South America). In a nutshell, you have to get a permit for intrastate movement of the permitted species and one for international movement of the permitted species.
I am still waiting on that 2nd permit to clear me for international shipments; if it goes through, it will be an amazing development for the US millipede side of the hobby. My hopes aren't too high considering it has taken this long, but then again, I was blessed unexpectedly with receiving the intrastate permit, so maybe...
I must note irregardless that I will still need an import permit from USFWS (Form 3-177) if I receive the import permit and order something from overseas, since I do plan on trading/selling offspring of any species I am successful with with others; if you are only bringing in small numbers of specimens of a few species strictly for your personal keeping (zero distribution), you can qualify for bringing them in for personal use, though this can be risky to do if you bring in more than the USFWS officials think you need. Unlike the PPQ 526 permit the Form 3-177 is not free, and last I remember hearing it was somewhere in the area of $99.
The permit number or a copy of the permit must accompany every shipment I send/receive as well, whether within the US or outside of it. There is a possibility brokers like Reptile Express could ship the specimens so long as I handle things with APHIS and provide my permits to be sent with the package, but this has not been looked into further.

Irregardless, having this permit opens up new opportunities, while also limiting some others. Even if I don't receive the international import permit, having the intrastate permit allows me to deal with willing museums and bug zoos, and with other enthusiasts like TMM (yes, I have already contacted him about his Thyropygus pachyurus), which could allow me access to species available to hardly anyone else (case in point: TMM's T. pachyurus).
However, this also means I am limited in who I can sell/trade to. I can still purchase from anyone within the US, but all sales made by myself must be kept strictly to those who are also permitted for the species in question (I could, for example, buy/trade for any species that TMM is permitted for since I applied and was cleared for all those species, but the reverse is not true), I must keep record of the transaction, and I must send those records to APHIS by January 31st of each year (I am still figuring out how to do that). I also must maintain the containment facility in good order and adhere to all the guidances and SOPs I have given myself, and to be prepared for an inspection at any time within reasonable operating hours. I do not expect to be inspected, but the possibility remains. I will be honest and say that it has been a bit of a change, and I am still struggling to keep with certain standards and guidances (i.e the door is to remain closed at all times), but overall I would say it is completely worth it for the avenues that have been opened to me. I have yet to have received any additional permitted specimens, but I am continuing to develop my connections and I hope to have acquired some new species before the year is out.

All of that's to say that the more of us who get permitted, the more networking can be done and breeders there will be for very rare species; I see the possibility of reviving the olden days of the US millipede keeping side of things when exotic species were plentiful. And who knows? As TMM pointed out, if enough of us do it, the wave of paperwork might make the USDA/APHIS deregulate them as they should be (in my opinion). However, the USDA/APHIS entomologists who process the permits have been incredibly helpful and kind, explaining things to both myself and TMM, and likely many others; considering the permits are free and the amazing service offered, I would say the PPQ 526 might be the easiest permit for you to get, so long as you know what to apply for.
I post this in hopes of spurring further interest in this new-found avenue to acquiring rare species, both for conservation purposes and just for fun. I am currently probing the possibility of attempting permits for roaches and native beetles as well, and eventually seeing what might be done for more exotic insects such as carnivorous katydids and some exotic beetles. If we as enthusiasts are successful in continuing to pursue the legal side of things, it may take away the grayness of our beloved passion for invertebrates and bolster what we do in the eyes of the USDA/APHIS, and beyond.

I welcome any questions, comments, suggestions, etc. Both The Mantis Menagerie and I are available to answer.

Many thanks,

Arthroverts

Attachments

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Just wanted to return to this and let those interested know that I have applied for an amendment to the original permit, adding a great deal more species. The import permit is still pending, but I have reason to believe I may get a response here shortly.

Also, I was just approved to import around 25 different isopod species and four entire genera (Armadillidium, Cubaris, Merulanella, and Porcellio) from Africa, Europe, Asia, the Caribbean islands (except for US territories), Canada, and Mexico. There are a string of stipulations that need to be followed, but it does mean that it is entirely possible for an enthusiast with a containment facility to be able to bring in exotic species without brown-boxing.
I should note that the permit was cut down quite a bit (60-70 odd species and genera down to 30 or so), with a few genera such as Pseudarmadillo and Calmanesia failing to make it on to the permit for still-unknown reasons.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I also should note; I was inspected by the local branch of APHIS a few months ago via a video call (due to covid-19). I was told that the inspection was to determine whether it would be wise to issue the import permit (which I'm still waiting on). Despite my nerves, the inspector was very friendly and forthright with me, and I was able to get some questions answered. It was also scheduled beforehand, giving me time to double and triple-check everything.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Joopes

Arachnopeon
How do you go about applying for one?

How do you go about applying for one?
Can you apply for a permit for moths? I am mostly interested in breeding the Southwestern US species of moths, but, transferring those over state borders is prohibited.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You have to create an ePermits account with APHIS and then apply for the permit.

Yes you can, all Lepidopterans can be applied for with a PPQ526, but I haven't gone down that route so I can't say anything in regards to what containment or SOPs would look like for them.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Permits should be relatively easy to create through the ePermits portal (though I have had some issues with identity verification) and I would also advise reading this page first. As for regulations regarding leps, they appear to be pretty strict, even for many native species. Highly recommend checking out the following link and the embedded USDA chart before submitting your application:
The Mantis Menagerie USDA - Lepidoptera

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
Want to say thank you for linking up some of those docs in your post, it can be a nightmare sometimes in trying to navigate those government sites... despite having access to numerous DOE closed sites, I still have lots of trouble making my way through the bureaucracy sometimes :zombie:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Found something out tonight which I feel it is important to share. PPQ 526 Permits (even those that do not list organisms that require a containment facility) are ALL address specific. Any move in houses, apartment, or residence REQUIRES a new permit and the associated wait time. Unfortunately for me, this means I won't be able to get one for likely a decade, as I navigate college, first full time jobs, and first apartments. So I got burned pretty bad. So much for exotic millipedes and naturalized isopods, I'll try again in 10 years. At least I'm in the zoo world, guess I'll have to get my fill that way.
@ThemantismanofPA I don't know where you are in the process these days, but this may be important for you. Though you probably are already aware:)

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
...one more important distinction: for residences, containment facilities are (normally) room specific, so specimens or "infested" materials cannot legally move outside of that specific room unless being moved for shipment to another permit holder.

I guess if you could lock down a dorm room for four years you'd be good, but then you'd have access issues (dorm rooms aren't the most private of places) and problems with any roommates/dorm mates who might not understand the gravity of USDA/APHIS regulations.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
...one more important distinction: for residences, containment facilities are (normally) room specific, so specimens or "infested" materials cannot legally move outside of that specific room unless being moved for shipment to another permit holder.

I guess if you could lock down a dorm room for four years you'd be good, but then you'd have access issues (dorm rooms aren't the most private of places) and problems with any roommates/dorm mates who might not understand the gravity of USDA/APHIS regulations.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Yeah, I knew these restrictions existed for containment facilities (a couple of which I've worked in) but I didn't realize that even exotic millipedes, naturalized isopods, or native beetles that don't require containment still need to be tied to a specific address. Frankly I find it a little extreme. though I also get where they are coming from. Yes, the government need to keep track of things, but they are already tied to a person. Why does an address change have to require an entirely new permit for species that don't require containment? Could there not be a way to do this without ANOTHER 6-9 month process? I probably should have guessed this would be a problem but I didn't. Figured I could move non-containment species between multiple places but I guess not. C'est la vie.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
You could always amend the permit. That usually doesn't take as long as getting approved for a brand new permit.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
You could always amend the permit. That usually doesn't take as long as getting approved for a brand new permit.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Sadly not. According to the APHIS website any change in address is not amendable. An entirely new permit has to be created. I appreciate the advise though.

LizardStudent

Arachnosquire
Sadly not. According to the APHIS website any change in address is not amendable. An entirely new permit has to be created. I appreciate the advise though.
Are you sure of this? In one of my epermits acceptance letters APHIS states:
"The permit holder must notify the Pest Permit Staff as soon as possible of any change in the permit holder's work assignment, residence, or affiliation"
And then continues on with:
"Notifications to the Pest Permit Staff must be made via 866-524-5421 or pest.permits@usda.gov within one business day of the event triggering a notification"

Perhaps with import permits you may have to reapply, but for just ownership/breeding I dont believe you need a whole new application. Also if they do not require a containment facility, it should not be such a long process, more like 1 month instead of like 9

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Are you sure of this? In one of my epermits acceptance letters APHIS states:
"The permit holder must notify the Pest Permit Staff as soon as possible of any change in the permit holder's work assignment, residence, or affiliation"
And then continues on with:
"Notifications to the Pest Permit Staff must be made via 866-524-5421 or pest.permits@usda.gov within one business day of the event triggering a notification"

Perhaps with import permits you may have to reapply, but for just ownership/breeding I dont believe you need a whole new application. Also if they do not require a containment facility, it should not be such a long process, more like 1 month instead of like 9
Right before the first line you quote, the permit conditions state, "The permit holder must:...maintain an official permanent work assignment, residence, or affiliation at the address on this permit," I will look into this more closely as to how an address can be changed, but my permit also says, "All lifestages of regulated organisms must be maintained in escape-proof caging (e.g. aquaria, jars, etc.) at all times at the above address except as noted in condition #12." The referenced exception is for off-site educational programs, but the given reiteration and focus on tying the permit to a specific address makes this seem like a fairly fundamental requirement that must be made constant as much as possible.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I agree with @The Mantis Menagerie reading. I am, however, investigating the feasibility of two permits under the same name for two different addresses. I have a couple institutional contacts with personal collections who I think may be able to shed some light on more of this, having dealt with this bureaucracy since it was first put in place. I have huge respect for APHIS regulations but it still seems extreme to me that invertebrates that do not require a containment facility still need to be contained within the same address at all times. I understand the logic, but if they want people (especially young hobbyists) to actually follow the laws then there needs to be some flexibility.
Will update this if I find anything in contradiction to what has already been written.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I understand the logic, but if they want people (especially young hobbyists) to actually follow the laws then there needs to be some flexibility.
This is one of the reasons why I don't think APHIS cares (or is even aware of, different offices, inspectors, and agents have different understandings of the law oftentimes) for a lot of the stuff it is supposed to regulate except in extreme cases (brown-boxing as one example). There are too many examples of non-enforcement when enforcement is relatively "easy" for me to believe they actually expect or want everyone to become permitted.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
As some of you may know, I put through for an amendment to the first millipede permit I got. I had 70-something species/genera/families on the original but naturally I discovered plenty of species I had missed after the fact, hence the amendment request, which included over a hundred new species, genera, and families.

Well, today the amendment was approved, and instead of getting those species approved, the entomologist reviewing the application approved me for the entire order Diplopoda. All species, new, old, undescribed, unidentified, julid, spirostreptid, glomerid.

I laughed when I saw that, needless to say.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
As some of you may know, I put through for an amendment to the first millipede permit I got. I had 70-something species/genera/families on the original but naturally I discovered plenty of species I had missed after the fact, hence the amendment request, which included over a hundred new species, genera, and families.

Well, today the amendment was approved, and instead of getting those species approved, the entomologist reviewing the application approved me for the entire order Diplopoda. All species, new, old, undescribed, unidentified, julid, spirostreptid, glomerid.

I laughed when I saw that, needless to say.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Holy Smokes.....!!!! Congrats that is truly amazing!! Very happy for you!! Can’t wait to see what all you do with that amazing gift!!