powerfeeding Slings??

deadly_elegance

Arachnopeon
I'm relatively new into scorps keeping, I recently aquired a P.trans and I don't know how to properly feed it, I know that powerfeeding is fine with Tarantulas, but is it also fine in scorpions, someone tells me its bad bcoz your sling could end up in a really bad molt??. . . suggestion please. . .

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Feed it until it is so fat it looks like a football with a tail. Then let it rest. If it starts to become thin again, continue feeding. Repeat the cycle until it refuses to eat. Most likely it will be in pre-molt. Don't attempt to feed it at this point because there is that freak possibility that the cricket might eat your scorp while molting.

From experience, I got my P. trans last Oct. at 2nd instar. It molted last January to 4th. I only powerfed it between 2nd and 3rd. I read somewhere that powerfeeding will make your scorp grow fast but you may also be shortening its lifespan.

deadly_elegance

Arachnopeon
is my P. trans really that of a slow grower?? they told me its in its 4th instar so how long will it take it to molt for its 5th instar???

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well you have to know when it turned 4th instar to know (or estimate) its next molt, but with buthids in general, i'd say 1.5 to 2 months til its next molt from the last one. you do not have to powerfeed inorder to get normal growth on schedule, you can feed it about twice a week (or every three days) with crickets or roaches of appropriate size. as adults, scorpions are contented to eat once a week.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
is my P. trans really that of a slow grower?? they told me its in its 4th instar so how long will it take it to molt for its 5th instar???
I saw that specimen you got and it is 2nd or 3rd, but definitely not fourth. My 4I P. trans is twice bigger. Why are you in such a hurry? Your specimen will be show quality by the time we have an arachnoshow in Nov.