Power feeding...

jakykong

Arachnobaron
I doubt if the spider would continue to eat after the point that it would literally pop. It seems to me that evolution would put a stop to that!

However, there is a real danger from over-eating of abdominal ruptures. If the abdomen is full, especially for terrestrials, they are more likely to rupture in the event of a fall.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
As Smitty78 stated, I also do it for making breeding possibilities happen faster. But imo, I do it as naturally as I can think it could be. I feed small things first after a molt, after several weeks I feed large things when they are most mature in their instar until they can't eat anymore. It's my best guess to what might idealistically happen in the wild with super lucky pred inverts. For non-breeders, after a while a person gets a feel for when to offer food, small things every week or two, but you come to trust your instincts and experience.

chickenwings

Arachnopeon
I fed my brachypelma klaasi with 3 nymp size lats you know the tiny roach I'm worried cause I think its bad for my slingd cause there only half a inch

sasker

Arachnoprince
Hey look! An undead threat! :vamp:

On topic, don't worry about overfeeding too much. Tarantulas stop when they had enough.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I fed my brachypelma klaasi with 3 nymp size lats you know the tiny roach I'm worried cause I think its bad for my slingd cause there only half a inch
It's cool you can't overfeed slings they'll stop eating when they see fit and be just fine.

You should be feeding them as much as they'll eat

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The necromancy is strong...

You can feed a sling as much as it will physically eat and it won't cause any problems, they stop eating once they've had enough to see them through to their next moult, slings can't get obese, they put any extra mass into growth, they can't ever weigh enough to get drag injuries like juvies/adults can and they won't suffer any moulting problems (in fact, the only sling I've ever had that never recovered after a moult was a Y. diversipes that arrived looking underfed and which moulted before I could feed it up to a decent size).

The "it reduces their lifespan" argument is kinda played out now, in males that only live a couple of years this is true but in females that live for decades the difference is nominal (we're talking a few months at most).