Power feeding to induce a molt?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is this possible with Centipedes (or inverts in general)? I've done it for ages when it came to my reptiles, and I was wondering if power feeding a Centipede would have the same result? The reason I'm asking this is to see if it'd be possible for me to get my newest pede (Indonesian Black-Tipped) to molt sooner then later, and see if we can get his fangs grown back at a quicker rate...

I've had him since yesterday, and thus far he's eaten the lower half of around 6 large crickets (little guy REALLY tries to do it all on his own, but without the fangs it's really not working with him). So I kind of thought, well, if I power fed the Pede, maybe that'd get a molt started quicker.

Think it's possible?

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Poor thing. I wish mine was as aggressive as yours!
Haha, little guy is definitely fiesty! I'd actually say that he/she's more aggressive then my subspinipes! That's kind of a feat in it's own right there... :clap:

In all honesty, I'm pretty optimistic about the whole ordeal, mainly because of the fact that this little ones aggression level is so high. The whole "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" motto is exactly what this Pede lives by!

That's fine by me... :)

slimtim454

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mine is a subspinipes! Yea my centipede is missing a leg and has a shortened antenna so i'm waiting on a molt as well.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The subspinipes are full of character! I really dig mine, and I'm sure you'll have no regrets about yours as well. Well, of course a bite "could" drop my "diggin'" level by a point or two... haha. Just kidding, they really are cool!

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think you might have the most success in speeding up the molt time by increasing the temp. Of course this would also increase its appetite, so in a way you'd need to power feed as well.

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Is this possible with Centipedes (or inverts in general)? I've done it for ages when it came to my reptiles, and I was wondering if power feeding a Centipede would have the same result? The reason I'm asking this is to see if it'd be possible for me to get my newest pede (Indonesian Black-Tipped) to molt sooner then later, and see if we can get his fangs grown back at a quicker rate...

I've had him since yesterday, and thus far he's eaten the lower half of around 6 large crickets (little guy REALLY tries to do it all on his own, but without the fangs it's really not working with him). So I kind of thought, well, if I power fed the Pede, maybe that'd get a molt started quicker.

Think it's possible?
THis is wierd, Its the 5th post ive read on different forums about thier pedes missing fange, and lall recently aquired, all similar posts from pedes of the same region....:cool: .................................

As for the pede, if is still a large juvi or small adult it should happen soon as summer is approaching. Power feeding seems to work at the end of winter with young sp. of scolopenra to get a molt. They "grow" after the molt when thier exo is still pliable.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool, thanks for the info. I do appreciate it! Summer's just around the bend, hehe, so I'm very happy to be hearing that youngsters molt around that time of the year.

Learn something new everyday on AB! A good thing indeed.