Potting soil risk

SupremeBananus

Arachnopeon
I want to change up my substrate again and realized I still never tried making my own mixture that inludes topsoil/potting soil. I know some brands that other people use but I'm nervous since I've seen people get bad batches even with safe soil but still so many people use it without issue. If I get a brand that I know is safe, how likely is it that I would get a bad batch? Are there steps I should take every time I purchase a new bag? Am I definitely just overthinking this :embarrassed:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Well you should not be using potting soil, which has additives and chemicals (for plants). Top soil is fine, peat is fine, coco is fine. But why do you need to change your substrate, and what do you mean by “bad batches”? If you are using somethings thats 100% something, there’s no batches it’s just pure. Ive been using 100% pure peat moss never had a “bad batch” and people use 100# top soil too. I think someone led you to believe some BS with that.

Last edited:

ApexApinkPanda

Arachnosquire
I've looked a tons of potting soil with the though making my own substrate. The problem is there's always something "extra" in it. Chicken poop seems to be the most common. Dirt, isn't as straight forward as you'd think. I've spoken to a local expert on dirt (He's a civil engineer that specializes in dirt) and the answer I got wasn't good. Basically, unless your going to test each batch it isn't safe. Virtually all store bought soil is contaminated as far as sensitive things like Tarantula's are concerned. He said the safest option aside from purchasing soil made as substrate is dig a hole in your own backyard and baking or microwaving the soil yourself. At least then you have a general idea of what's gone on with the soil. If you live in an area with lots of industrial industry you have to be even more careful. I've been using repti-soil and Lugarti. I'm not particularly impressed with either. The Lugarti is overpriced and doesn't hold a tunnel worth crap. It also dries to quickly. I wouldn't recommend it for slings because it doesn't hold moisture well.

SupremeBananus

Arachnopeon
Well you should not be potting soil, which has additives. Top soil is fine, peat is fine, coco is fine. But why do you need to change your substrate, and what do you mean by bad batches? If you are using somethings thats 100% something, there’s no batches. I think someone led you to believe some BS with that.
I don't need to change my substrate, I just want to experiment and find something I like more. And you may be right, I've seen some people mention they ended up with a bad bag of soil and lost their inverts to it but I very well could have misread and they were not using the same safe brand as before.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I don't need to change my substrate, I just want to experiment and find something I like more. And you may be right, I've seen some people mention they ended up with a bad bag of soil and lost their inverts to it but I very well could have misread and they were not using the same safe brand as before.
Get 100% top soil or peat moss or coco fiber and you will be fine and call it a day. It needs to be 100% pure no additives, do not by potting soil for plants. Where are you hearing this, Fb?

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Get 100% top soil or peat moss or coco fiber and you will be fine and call it a day. It needs to be 100% pure no additives, do not by potting soil for plants. Where are you hearing this, Fb?
I was just listening to tom moran's podcast from a while back and he had an incident where he bought a brand of topsoil that allegedly had no additives in, then he had a bunch of inverts all die after moulting that were on said soil. Think it ended up having fertiliser balls in it or something?

Probably a freak unfortunate occurrence

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I was just listening to tom moran's podcast from a while back and he had an incident where he bought a brand of topsoil that allegedly had no additives in, then he had a bunch of inverts all die after moulting that were on said soil. Think it ended up having fertiliser balls in it or something?

Hmmmm I have never heard of this, I personally do not use top soil but I know lots of folks do, I use %100 peat moss. But I guess things happen and you always need to double check!

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Hmmmm I have never heard of this, I personally do not use top soil but I know lots of folks do, I use %100 peat moss. But I guess things happen and you always need to double check!
I agree, i think it was just unfortunate and i know he still uses top soil, just not that brand (agway it was called)

jc55

Arachnoknight
Walmart was always a good place to find 100 % organic soil with nothing added or at least they did when i had many enclosures to set up and i never had any issues.Agway is a brand and store from up North from my experience unless they now sell bags of soil nation wide but most (potting soils) tend to have additives that are no good for T enclosures.

dman13760

Arachnosquire

I heard that same episode. I believe Tom had usually used a particular brand of top soil. He had to switch brands because of lack of supply; the brand he picked up did have some sort of herbicide, which he attributed to a number of deaths in his collection. I have used Scott's top soil (in the red bag) mixed with coco fiber, with no issues whatsoever.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should use @EulersK cricket test on substrate, while not a T, it’s still better than nothing.

I heard that same episode. I believe Tom had usually used a particular brand of top soil. He had to switch brands because of lack of supply; the brand he picked up did have some sort of herbicide, which he attributed to a number of deaths in his collection. I have used Scott's top soil (in the red bag) mixed with coco fiber, with no issues whatsoever.
Interesting was the chemical listed on the bag? Often times IME such things are listed, who knows.

dman13760

Arachnosquire
Interesting was the chemical listed on the bag? Often times IME such things are listed, who knows.
If I recall correctly, I think he quickly grabbed a store's generic bag of top soil (e.g., Agway brand), without checking all the ingredients...... not 100% sure though. He then did a bunch of rehouses to later find that there were these green fertilizer/herbicide balls in the substrate. Not good obviously

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I recall correctly, I think he quickly grabbed a store's generic bag of top soil (e.g., Agway brand), without checking all the ingredients...... not 100% sure though. He then did a bunch of rehouses to later find that there were these green fertilizer/herbicide balls in the substrate. Not good obviously
Not good at all