potting soil question

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
is potting soil ok to use for any kind of T?
i saw one that has bone meal in it, is this ok?

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
potting soil is alright only if it doesn't have any additives (like fertilizer) in it. Perlite is okay. Also try to get the peat instead of composted wood chips.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have to be careful what you use to make sure there are no chemicals or anything in it. Might I suggest that you check out the link at the bottom of my post....Nexy Year Reptiles...they make an awesome substrate. Anyone that has purchased it loves it and keeps coming back for more. They're not far from you either.

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah as long as you get the all natural stuff your cool, it's what my Rosie lives on.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, I use the Miracle Gro peat because i couldn't find schultz or another brands 100% peat and no issues for me, a buddy of mine on this forum used it for 2.5 years no problems on his Ts and Scorps, barely anything in it, and we all know natural soil comes trace amounts of potash, ash, nitrate,etc. Still though make sure it's nothing overdone and watch out for some of the uncommon chemicals, stay inside the natural area or very very close to it atleast. :)

Hedrus

Arachnopeon
I'd like to add to this thread...

I almost just started another thread and then saw this one. I just bought some potting soil and would like to know what everyone thinks about it. Here is a direct link to the brand and a description of what it is made of. I opened the bag before I bought it and there isn't any perlite white beads in it.

http://www.supersoil.com/products/supersoil/potting_soil.shtml

I also bought sta-green vermiculite and here is a link to it. I couldn't find anything on the package that said it was anything more than just regular plain vermiculite.

http://www.sta-green.com/ProductCategories/SoilsAmmendments/Vermiculite/

Lastly, I bought a HUGE bag of peat moss. I stayed away from the miracle grow stuff because it said it had liquid fertilizer added to it. I didn't want to take any chances. I've had Ts for quite a few years but have never used anything but bed-a-beast. Anyway, the huge bag of peat moss I bought was this kind.

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Gardening/Products/GrowingMediaTM/ProMossHort/fProMossHort.htm

I want to do a planted terrarium and start to make my T setups more natural and pretty like so many pictures I see on here. I am no gardener by any means but I want to give this a try. BUT, not ever doing anything with plant s makes this kind of stuff hard because I just don't know anything about it. I figured with Peat moss, potting soil, vermiculite, sand and fish tank gravel I can do pretty much anything as far as setups go.

So if these are good brands to go with then everyone on here that reads this thread will have some brands they can rely on and find easily at Lows(I got all of them at Lows). Or, if some of these are definitely not good then we will all be able to cross them off the list of products to buy! So either way as long as I get some responses to this its a win win. Sorry to hijack this thread! Just trying to help it along. :)

Kenzie

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The potting soil will be just fine. Just avoid specialty soils that have loads of fetrtilizers in them. Topsoil is usually clean as well. Schultzs peat moss is a good pick.m Trace amounts of nitrogen in regular potting soil arent much of a threat to Inverts.