Potting Soil or Coco Fiber?

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Just wondering what you guys think is better? I just hate how fast coco fiber dries out and idk potting soil might do the same.But I just seem to have my cork bark mold when i do a new set up bc you have do moisten the coco fiber so much to get the desired humidity. Also when you see them at petshows 9 times out of 10 they are on potting soil anyways just wondering. Also ive been wanting to add a more natural look like live palnts and things if anyone has any suggestions on plants and how to go about maybe gettin wood from outside and things so just let me know all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I mixed both for my King Baboon's home but otherwise I use coco fiber.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Search function or ask this question....again.

Do a 50/50 mix. Best of both worlds.
Pothos seems to work well, and if your cork bark is molding...thats too wet. One of the properties of cork bark is that it doesn't mold easily.

Hrothgar

Arachnopeon
I live in a relatively low humidity climate (~35) and use coco peat in all my normal tanks. I find most T's prefer a dryer environment. Wet environments can be controlled by limiting evaporation by reducing circulation and pouring in lots of water. As far as plants are concerned, in larger terraria type tanks I use soil from the garden and plant miniature palms from seed - they grow well in the humid environment and seem to be naturally bonsai due to restricted soil and nutrients.

MrJohn

Arachnopeon
I use coco fiber.

I use coco fiber and I have live plants. Works awesome!

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
cool thanks does anyone have an idea about wood from outside how to cook it to kill anything thats on it

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
I was always told that peat moss and soils from retailers run the risk of containing mites. Also, peat will grow mold...whereas coco coir is a good, non-acidic substrate that will not mold.

Am I wrong?

Robertb

Arachnopeon
yeah coco defiantly grows mold and fast which is why i don't use it.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
Vermiculite. And you can mix 1/3 of coco fiber or coco peat with it. Mold doesn't embed in the vermiculite as much as it does with coco peat, it will sit on top around the prey or embolus left behind, for easy removal. Holds moisture for long periods, and gives a good osmosis within the enclosure for good humidity if needed.