Potentially sick emp; don't know what to do.

ashandarei

Arachnopeon
Today I noticed the the older, larger of my scorps was lying flat in the corner, tail down, on its belly. It looks to be quite swollen. It moves a little when stimulated; blew across its back, usually gets him riled up. Generally unresponsive though.

I got it fully grown, almost a year ago, my first scorpion. Maybe it's old; don't know. The humidity in his tank is considerably higher than usual; don't know if that is affecting him. I don't know its sex, have been too wary of picking it up to inspect it, but it can't be pregnant, it's only had a cellmate for about three weeks, and the newest is young-ish.

Any suggestions, am I lacking any pertinent information?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe you bought it Gravid but the relaxed tail is a sign that it's dying. Most like old age I wouldn't feel so bad I had a couple go that way too. How high is your humidity by the way. And what's your temp, and substrate your using. Any info could help me pin point if you were making a mistake. What size tank and how many more scorps do you have in there.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if all your stuff is setup correctly you probably bought it as a mature adult so its prob getin old

ashandarei

Arachnopeon
I don't have any way to measure the humidity; first few days I owned it I screwed around with aprocimations till it seemed satisfied, and tried to keep it in that area. Temp is about 80f

Subtrate is that forest terrarium stuff- wood fluff degraded to dirt texture, been using it for a year. Last ate about three days ago- both scorps in the tank seemed healthy and active.

I have a ten gallon tank, with the two scorpions.

ashandarei

Arachnopeon
If it is in fact dying, would it be better to freeze it or something, or let it pass naturally?

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it is dying, it seems. Altough I have had a few scorps do this for a day or two and then start acting up again. I would let it die of natural causes. But if you want to freeze it then go ahead, your scorp. Try to post some pics.