Potential new houses for my c.versicolor.

ActinideMom

Arachnopeon
This is Giselle; my first T. My daughter & her significant other have 4 tarantulas they have raised from slings- the oldest of whom is 2 (years). Since Giselle is the 1st c. versicolor in our fam, I am researching houses (styles, cross ventilation, online suppliers, etc.) that would be the best for her (or him). Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please note: One of the other four in our fam is also arboreal- a p. metallica - but there are obviously some significant differences regarding the care and feeding between these two.

Any insight regarding feeding techniques for versicolor slings is also sincerely welcome - I don’t want to tear up her web when opening her house.

413C5A7D-DCD1-463B-B022-299879942765.jpeg

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Don't be afraid of tearing up the web. The spider will make another and it won't stress it out to do so. I think this is a common misconception amongst new or semi-new owners. To rehouse simply pop the top off and let the spider exit the the clear phial on its own time. Or you can coax it out with a soft paintbrush. It would be beneficial to post a picture of the new enclosure here before you put the tarantula in, just so we can help you make any needed adjustments prior to adding the spider. :)

ActinideMom

Arachnopeon
Several people use spray foam to create features in T houses. Are the chemicals and vapors that may off-gas from the foam - even after it is well dry - harmful to them?

Don't be afraid of tearing up the web. The spider will make another and it won't stress it out to do so. I think this is a common misconception amongst new or semi-new owners. To rehouse simply pop the top off and let the spider exit the the clear phial on its own time. Or you can coax it out with a soft paintbrush. It would be beneficial to post a picture of the new enclosure here before you put the tarantula in, just so we can help you make any needed adjustments prior to adding the spider. :)
Thank you! I will post pics of what I think might be the best for her before I buy and before she is re-housed. ( I can’t believe how much I love this fur baby already - she is such an incredible wee thing!)

Another question -please? Would it be useful to get a UV lamp to “sterilize” cocy fibre before using it in a new house?

*coconut fibre

Here are a few houses I really like for my c. versicolor sling. Thoughts? Comments? B953C44C-8E7A-4FC9-9A66-7273BAFF9860.png

Also like this for later when Giselle grows up. What do you think?

Also - please bear with me regarding my use of this forum - I know I replied to some of my own posts to add questions instead of adding a new entry :)

What do you think of this house?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is Giselle; my first T. My daughter & her significant other have 4 tarantulas they have raised from slings- the oldest of whom is 2 (years). Since Giselle is the 1st c. versicolor in our fam, I am researching houses (styles, cross ventilation, online suppliers, etc.) that would be the best for her (or him). Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please note: One of the other four in our fam is also arboreal- a p. metallica - but there are obviously some significant differences regarding the care and feeding between these two.

Any insight regarding feeding techniques for versicolor slings is also sincerely welcome - I don’t want to tear up her web when opening her house.

View attachment 339305
There's no difference in feeding Avics vs P mets. I own both. I do the same for both, and feed the same to both species.

My advice is to read a lot here.

Click my link below, if you have questions, come back here and ask.

There's no point in spitting out info that you might already know, wastes your time and mine from my perspective. Far easier to ask SPECIFIC questions, then for me to spit out everything I know.

ONE thing I will say - ventilation is critical to Avics. Moist stuff cages kill Avics, and CARE SHEETS KILL AVICS.

Would it be useful to get a UV lamp to “sterilize” cocy fibre before using it in a new house?
No- waste of money and time- see my answer in your other post.

Things are only sterile if they remain in a sterile environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

creepsinc

Arachnopeon
Here is my versicolor's new enclosure. Large Amac box, I cut the cork off the corkbark so the bark would fit well as the background. Vermiculite, peat, and several kinds of moss. This one used the water bowl at the bottom in her old enclosure, so I put it there. PSX_20200405_212233.jpg 20200406_171441.jpg PSX_20200406_173220.jpg