Potential C. marshalli hybrid or genetic variation?

Boaz Solorio

Arachnopeon
I have two adult female C. marshalli that look rather different from eachother, and one was sold to a friend of mine as a C. darlingi, despite having an obviously straight horn.
This first image is of my C. marshalli, and the second is the specimen sold as C. darlingi. Input would be appreicated.
First image shows the specimen sold as C. darligni, second image is of my C. marshalli.
20191025_044450.jpg 20191025_044326.jpg

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Imo, both C. marshalli, without any variation, though. If I remember correctly, C. sp. "Mozambique" was proven to be a variation of C. marshalli too, but I dont think thats the case here.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
They both look like C. marshalli to me. The horn isn't always an accurate distinction and some C. marshalli have way more sharper or pointy horns than others, so sometimes specimens may vary. The biggest difference between C. marhsalli and C. darlingi is the carapace patterns. If you compare the two, C. darlingi has the lighter carapace striping and C. marshalli has the darker carapace striping like your two photos. If you google pictures of adult female specimens and compare the carapaces closely, you'll understand what I mean. I have both C. marshalli (5 specimens) and C. darlingi (3 specimens), but they're not adults yet. But when I compare the carapaces, I can see some difference for sure. So from what I can say, both of those two are C. marshalli to me.

Boaz Solorio

Arachnopeon
They both look like C. marshalli to me. The horn isn't always an accurate distinction and some C. marshalli have way more sharper or pointy horns than others, so sometimes specimens may vary. The biggest difference between C. marhsalli and C. darlingi is the carapace patterns. If you compare the two, C. darlingi has the lighter carapace striping and C. marshalli has the darker carapace striping like your two photos. If you google pictures of adult female specimens and compare the carapaces closely, you'll understand what I mean. I have both C. marshalli (5 specimens) and C. darlingi (3 specimens), but they're not adults yet. But when I compare the carapaces, I can see some difference for sure. So from what I can say, both of those two are C. marshalli to me.
That sounds pretty definitive, thank you for the input

The underside has a distinguishing characteristic as well: a narrow tan band towards the front of the abdomen is C. darlingi (forward of the first pair of book lungs); a wider band is C. marshalli (extends to second pair of book lungs).
I'll get some ventral shots and post them here, thank you for that, should be a fairly easy task..

Agreed, never sure why people don't include the ventral side, an important one for this genus.
No kiddding, seems like fairly important info. I usually only hear of that when people need to ID Poecilotheria.

Last edited by a moderator: