Posted Images - Please Clarify

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
What is an acceptable image we can post here? Personally owned only has been shoved in my face repeatedly.
What about Creative Commons images? What about Public Domain images? What about granted right of use?

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
You either need to be the owner of said picture/image (ie: taken the picture yourself), or have explicit permission from the owner of the picture/image. That's it. No exceptions!

While, technically, there is no problem with Creative Commons, Public Domain, Granted Right of Use images, we do not have the time or resources to confirm that they are such an image. Therefore, we allow what we allow, which can be found here: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/copyrights-and-copyright-infringement.110036/

Arachnopets

Arachnoboards Team
Staff member
Sorry, but once again, we do not have the time nor resources to confirm every single time someone claims that "there is no ownership claim of/on this image".

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sorry, but once again, we do not have the time nor resources to confirm every single time someone claims that "there is no ownership claim of/on this image".
or have explicit permission from the owner of the picture/image.
Just pointing out a little problem here. Once an image has been released to Creative Commons, Public Domain, Granted Right of Use images or other, very often the image is no longer maintained. That is, there is no person designated or available to grant right of use. specific or general. The image is off the books. This spells out to several million images all over the net that are unowned, publicly accessible but banned on AB.
I mention this because I wished to post an image this AM. The site where the image resided specifically requested that the image not be linked to (they didn't want the additional web traffic). Thus, a publicly available image that is forever banned on AB. This AB ban includes tens of thousands of photo reproductions of classical fine art and technical drawings ranging from machines and mechanisms on out to literally countless biological images as those used in determining sex, genus, species, natural variations and mutations and adaptations of animals along with their habitat.

So for example I'm looking at a 40 page Covid-19 report here with each page containing several images that has no single author and is labeled Without Author - for public dissemination. Impossible to get the explicit permission required by AB and the site which is behind a restricted access, membership required firewall is of course linking disabled - copy and paste only.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just pointing out a little problem here. Once an image has been released to Creative Commons, Public Domain, Granted Right of Use images or other, very often the image is no longer maintained. That is, there is no person designated or available to grant right of use. specific or general. The image is off the books. This spells out to several million images all over the net that are unowned, publicly accessible but banned on AB.
I understand the desire to share public domain and Creative Commons images, and from a legal perspective, this may be fine.

However, from a practical perspective, we do not have the time or interest to vet third-party images, so we would prefer that you link to the page where the image is found (not a direct link to the image file).

I mention this because I wished to post an image this AM. The site where the image resided specifically requested that the image not be linked to (they didn't want the additional web traffic).
Usually when content owners ask that you not link, they are asking that you not hotlink to the image (link directly to the image file), not that you not share a link to the page where the image can be found.

If they genuinely don’t want any traffic to their Web site, I’m not sure why they are running a Web site.