Postage profit !!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Although this may have been mentioned since I didn't read page 2...

Sometimes I pay X for shipping, then I see the seller only paid Y.

I don't know about everyone else here, but I almost always buy from someone that I know gives out freebies. Depending on the sale, it might even be a really nice freebie or several almost unsellable common freebies. I'm sure every can agree that freebies are cool.

So I don't worry about the difference between X & Y because usually I get an additional T that probably costs more a couple of bucks.

Sometimes I don't get a freebie. I do shop around quit a bit & wait on buying a species I want until I can get what I feel is a super awesome deal. Usually the deals I get are awesome enough that I could care less about the difference between X & Y or getting a freebie, I just care that I got the deal first ;)

And that's my take :D
This is what I was talking about. Depending on weight, the price "I" pay for the actual SHIPPING part may be 9.50 to 10 bucks. But, I charge 12 because of GAS, FOAM,DELI CUPS HEAT AND OR COLD PACKS. That is where the 2 extra bucks goes. this helps cover cost of my prices. I have to drive 32 miles to get the foam sheet. 6 miles to get tape, deli cups, newspaper..ect. then another 7 or so to drop it off at the post office. Thats money out of my pocket.

Hope that makes sense. that is a very small price(2.00 bucks) to ensure if you want priority, it makes it alive, and not on my expense. whether that be reputation or LAG(which I sometimes offered with priority.)

Oh and choco. I am on unemployment. I get 210 bucks a week before the haul out 34 bucks in taxes. so I dont want to hear about being broke bud. Its 2.00 dollars!

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh and choco. I am on unemployment. I get 210 bucks a week before the haul out 34 bucks in taxes. so I dont want to hear about being broke bud. Its 2.00 dollars!
I am no where near broke myself. I was just saying people with a pretty good bit of money shouldn't say certain amounts are nothing to get mad about. I understand this whole thing about two dollars is silly.

hassman789

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wellllllllll, if your so upset about the charges for GOOD shipping, why don't you just ask them to put the spider in the box with none of the stuff that will protect it from the elements of shipping!? I'm sure it will be worth it!:rolleyes:

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I purchase inverts I'm buying the invert not the shipping. I save up and buy several things at once. What I pay for shipping is around 10-15% of the total cost, not a big deal when I know that I'm getting things fast and healthy. Buying many things from one person is way better than getting one thing at a time. Save your money for a large order it's cheaper in the long run.

John

PS I charge $10 priority $25 express. I lose money nearly every time I ship.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine is correct, if you fail to see that then I am sorry. I was just explaining to you that you shouldn't do that if you cannot do it yourself. Of course your suggestion would be acceptable as well. I do know that "LOL" and putting numbers instead of writing them out is not correct.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Ok, now let's move on.

Widdle

Arachnopeon
Anyone ever get taxed on a purchase? Oops, did I just open a new can of worms? :wall: Bad Widdle, go in timeout!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I guess certain people would also complain about the Paypal fees?:)

Only Exotics

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can't forget about Paypal fees, even if you make a buck or 2 on shipping here & there it all evens out in the long run. I don't think most of us are making anything on USPS shipping unless someone is charging outrageous prices.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can't forget about Paypal fees, even if you make a buck or 2 on shipping here & there it all evens out in the long run. I don't think most of us are making anything on USPS shipping unless someone is charging outrageous prices.
I agree Ron, I know I am not at all LOL!!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some can talk about how great their packaging is...but only the young and dumb would buy that!
Are you serious? That is almost funny man.

From shipping jobs to shipping jobs...There is a HUGE diference.

Skullptor

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you serious? That is almost funny man.

From shipping jobs to shipping jobs...There is a HUGE diference.
It is almost bunny...I mean funny. :D

There is a huge difference in shipping one thing to another. My point is, if someone is trying to tell me how great their packaging is, and warrants some extra cash for it...When my own experience is T's aren't even close to the hardest thing I've shipped...I just have to laugh. :)

Everyone has their own way of doing things...I know.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The saying "you get what you pay for" very much applies here.

As many have already said, I would rather pay 15 bucks and get a live spider, that I've paid good money for. Put it like this; if you pack cheaply, you are at a much higher risk of killing a live animal, and also lose the money you paid for it.

Also mate, just a friendly tip, you probably shouldn't post about your skimping in a place like this, it'll spread like wildfire and you'll never sell a spider again. No one wants to risk it. No one that actually cares, anyway. You might get another skimper such as yourself, that would rather risk losing a total of 50 bucks, than to pay those horrible 15 bucks for shipping! Imagine the shame of it!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you know for PP fees there is a "gift" option that takes no money...:eek:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe this rip-off could be solved if all breeders start demanding rent and foodmoney from their T's.. I mean, it's the T's that are moving, they should pay for the flight themselves, after all. And all that styrofoam and stuff.. Let 'em pay if they wanna fly first class!

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Really??!!

Wow! I can not believe that there is a debate over the life of a beautiful creature and a couple extra bucks. I would understand if there were an exponential difference between the actual cost and the sellers cost. We are talking about a living creature, I would think the tarantulas life and well being were above this petty debate.
If this were truly about price gouging in shipping I would understand. As of yet, I have not encountered anyone being unreasonable about shipping; though I am sure there are some out there, somewhere.

For me the life of the tarantula being shipped comes first whether I am buying or selling.
I never use USPS Priority. I will only ship Express or FedEx overnight, buying or shipping. I received a group of spiderlings Priority once, and they took 5 days to arrive. Thankfully they were well packaged and they survived.
I have only sold and shipped a few Ts. My packing costs about $5. My packaging comes out to about 1.5-2lbs. I round the shipping price up the next whole dollar about $27 USPS and $43 FedEx. I also paid about $2 in PayPal fees for each sale. By the time I am done I have lost about $6.50.
I do this because the life of this being is far more important to me than the money. If I did charge more foe shipping it would be for no more than was needed to recoup the packaging cost. So I guess if a person is unwilling to pay a higher price for Express or Overnight and the couple extra dollars to cover packaging costs, then clearly that is not the type of person I would want to entrust with the care of one of my tarantulas.
Just my two cents.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
does anyone know the name of the forum where the stupid crap like this doesnt happen? BTW based on Cody, and RobC, and Fran, as well as myself, we pack pretty hardy and that costs money. perhaps some of you hot shots out there who have NEVER ONCE had a single DOA or poor packing review might wanna chime in with a video blog on how to keep shipping costs below $15/$30 and not have a single DOA. and im not talking those who have shipped 2-5 packages and think they have a good method, im talking people who sent 200+ packages and not once has there been a single complaint, problem or refund issued, and im talking both priority AND overnight. PLEASE by all means, chime in or shut up already.

ps -
I ship everyday with my business. I know the costs. Some can talk about how great their packaging is...but only the young and dumb would buy that!
do a piss poor pack job, pack up a spider that you'd hate to get bad news about and send it to me, send it express. Ill pack up one of my slings and ill send it to you with my packing job, but ill send priority, which by standards of weight should be about the same. whoever's shows up DOA will have to pay for the other guys packing plus lose the money they put into their own pack job. i can guarantee that shipping a live animal with time and care for the packing job DOES make the difference between a satisfied - repeat customer and an irritated customer with a dead spider on their hands wondering why the jerk they ordered from would do such a thing to an animal. even when ive gotten a perfectly healthy spider and the packing is poor, i make note of it for the next time i go to order.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I never use USPS Priority. I will only ship Express or FedEx overnight, buying or shipping. I received a group of spiderlings Priority once, and they took 5 days to arrive. Thankfully they were well packaged and they survived.
Thank you for proving a valid point is all im going to say.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
does anyone know the name of the forum where the stupid crap like this doesnt happen? BTW based on Cody, and RobC, and Fran, as well as myself, we pack pretty hardy and that costs money. perhaps some of you hot shots out there who have NEVER ONCE had a single DOA or poor packing review might wanna chime in with a video blog on how to keep shipping costs below $15/$30 and not have a single DOA. and im not talking those who have shipped 2-5 packages and think they have a good method, im talking people who sent 200+ packages and not once has there been a single complaint, problem or refund issued, and im talking both priority AND overnight. PLEASE by all means, chime in or shut up already.
I believe Ryan (Talkenlate04) has a video out there or at least a thread on how to pack slings in straws and send them in padded envelopes. I'm pretty sure he's never had a DOA shipping with that method.