Postage profit !!

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Money lost on postage.

I charge $15 for priority and $30 for overnight. now knowing that USPS can suck sometimes and it will still take 2-3 days to get a package from me to say...Tommy, i pack super well, most of my reviews will state that. becuz i pack well and guarantee my T's will show up in good condition i usually lose money on postage. the last few times ive shipped ive charged $30 for ONLAG and ended up spending $33 plus the drive to the post office.

So to the OP it goes both ways...sometimes people save money becuz they are just really good at what their doing and they can package things cheap. For others like Fran and I we take a more "overkill" approach so that way we can MAKE SURE you get exactly what you paid for and we dont lose our reputation. if you see enough crappy reviews on someone saying "packaging was poorly done and T's were dead" you arent going to order from that person. but when u consistently see "He packed the _________ perfect, I couldn't find a single flaw in his packing job." that gives u a solid feeling knowing that your animal will show up intact even if the person sending it lost a few dollars in the transaction.

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well the reason some people charge 10-15 or whatever is because they want to make a little money off the spider and basically if they didnt charge for shipping it would come out of their pockets. At least this is what im thinking could be totally wrong though.. Shipping depends on how much the package ways and how big it is and where its going. Seems like every year its going up but its for the best imo.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Box = $0.00 (USPS gives free priority boxes that can also be used for express, all you have to do is ask)
Foam = >$1.50 (buy a sheet and cut it down)
Heat/Cool Pack = $1-2
Delicup Vial = $0.25
Packing Materials = $0-2
Total "Box Charge" = $2.75 - $5.75 (much less if you reuse materials or ship in good weather )

Cost of Shipping to most areas for a package smaller than 12x12x12 and weighing less than 1.5 pounds = $5-7 for priority $25-27 for express

Total Cost = $7.75 - $12.75 for priority $27.75 - $32.75

Giving your buyer free shipping because they ordered 100+ dollars in tarantulas = happy repeat costumer.

Charging more than the actual cost of shipping = lame.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Box = $0.00 (USPS gives free priority boxes that can also be used for express, all you have to do is ask)
Heat/Cool Pack = $1-2
Delicup Vial = $0.25
Packing Materials = $0-2
Total "Box Charge" = $2.75 - $5.75 (much less if you reuse materials or ship in good weather )

Cost of Shipping to most areas for a package smaller than 12x12x12 and weighing less than 1.5 pounds = $5-7 for priority $25-27 for express

Giving your buyer free shipping because they ordered 100+ dollars in tarantulas = happy repeat costumer.

I think thats an absurd, no offense.

1st, what you pay for materials in Iowa doesnt cost the same of what you pay in New York or California.
2nd,you cant tell me what to chargue for MY shipping.
If I see a $45 shipping price for a USPS small box, then I might say something.
But if you dont like it, just dont buy it.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think thats an absurd, no offense.
Really? Offensive you say? :rolleyes:{D

1st, what you pay for materials in Iowa doesnt cost the same of what you pay in New York or California.
Notice that there is a 100% spread on most of the materials. If you are paying more that's no one's fault but your own. Heat/cold packs, delicups/vials, and even packing materials can all be ordered online. Just because you CHOOSE to pay more, doesn't mean you should get upset when others are doing it for less.

2nd,you cant tell me what to chargue for MY shipping.
Good thing I didn't then right? No one can tell you what to charge, however overcharging for profit is wrong. Hence, don't charge more than the actual cost of shipping.

If I see a $45 shipping price for a USPS small box, then I might say something.
But if you dont like it, just dont buy it.
Box size only has a very small affect on packing. The crush weight of the box is what matters. You can get a huge box made of thin cardboard and you've gained nothing.

Nothing in my post was aimed at you.

Added by Edit:

Fran I just looked up your forsale ads, you charge $10 for priority and $28 for express, which is almost EXACTLY in the middle of the totals I calculated in my post.

Last edited:

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Thank you, yes !!!

At last, thank you !!
Charging more than the actual cost of shipping = lame.[/QUOTE]

That is my point....

And as far as" if you don't like it don't buy"

It is that type of attitude that allowed death camps to be set up, that type of attitude that allows discrimination against people because of their color or religion..

Charge what you want for the tarantula, a $100,000, I don’t care, that is up to the buyer.

But don’t make money of the postage, I make $8.50 an hr, when you charge $15 instead of $5, you are taking an hour of my life.

Heat/Cool Pack = $1-2
Delicup Vial = $0.25
Packing Materials = $0-2

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you really comparing posting prices to death camps and discrimination?? If you don't wanna pay it then don't, but don't cone on here crying that you had a DOA cus you opted to be cheap.

Matt

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those of you that ship priority for 5-7 dollars are the exception,,not the rule,lets remember that as well..When I shipped to Cali,which is riiiiiight next to me,it was $9. That"s only 300 miles.......And honestly,to ME,if someone I ship to gripes over a dollar fifty,they can buy elsewhere.I have better things to do than listen to nitpickers(shrugs)

schadbone

Arachnopeon
You missed the point with you conspiracy theory stuff.:?

Priority or overnight, both good, both up to the buyer and or seller and the temperature.

But either way you should only pay the cost price for that service, and not a few dollars more on top.

Question: Why do some of the replies get so upset, if you are doing the right thing, and only you know that. :liar:

Then this is only a general discussion;
Makes me think they are guilty consciences out there. :embarrassed:

yes, its a conspiracy against you. everyone out there is really just trying to make a quick buck off of your ignorance :wall:

seriously, this is kind of insulting. who wouldn't rather pay a few dollars to have their Ts shipped and have more confidence that they are alive when they get there? i know even with the most meager orders i've made the extra $15 was no sweat since i actually, you know, care about their safety in transit. :embarrassed:

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Hey Matt,
To often I have seen people say if you don’t like it, don’t buy it.
Or
Don’t get involved
Or
Don’t help that person we don’t know them

Etc etc etc

I have seen people die because of that attitude.

Small or big, if we all do the right thing, the place would be a lot better.

Are you really comparing posting prices to death camps and discrimination?? If you don't wanna pay it then don't, but don't cone on here crying that you had a DOA cus you opted to be cheap.

Matt

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Which is more fair and which would you rather see?

$10 sling + $10 for shipping or $13 sling + $7 for shipping?

And, if you really want to get into ethics...

Say you paid $145/ea for two P. metallica slings 2 years ago when T.com had them at that price. You raise them up for 2 years feeding them roaches that breed themselves. One ends up being a MM and the other a female so you breed them and get a sac of 100. Now, the only actual money you paid for the spiders and upkeep is $290. So, by your logic, why aren't we seeing $2.90 P. metallica's? Maybe you should complain about the high prices of T's too. {D

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What does that have to do with paying $5 more bucks on shipping then you think you should? If you can't pay the extra money you probably shouldn't but the animal.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hehe or get this. What if you had, I don't know, P. pederseni slings for sale a few weeks ago for $22/ea. You sold a bunch off to various people, then when you're still stuck with a bunch, you drop the price down to $10. Is this fair? The previous purchasers were screwed out of $12 a sling. Maybe they should complain too and ask for a refund of the difference.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You missed the point with you conspiracy theory stuff.:?

Priority or overnight, both good, both up to the buyer and or seller and the temperature.

But either way you should only pay the cost price for that service, and not a few dollars more on top.

Question: Why do some of the replies get so upset, if you are doing the right thing, and only you know that. :liar:

Then this is only a general discussion;
Makes me think they are guilty consciences out there. :embarrassed:
your sarcasm detector is obviously broken, dude.

also, it's not a "few more dollars on the top", it's reassurance you get what you wanted when you wanted and limiting DOAs.

i'm not upset or guilty, i've only bought Ts never sold them myself. i just think your viewpoint on this is kind of ridiculous and insulting to sellers who have fair prices and awesome packing.

redrumpslump

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't understand why this is such a big deal. People are taking pretty signficant risk shipping usps. You shoud be happy with that cus fedex is way more

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ready ship box 8x8x8= $2.00

1/2 foam 4'x8'(the good stuff-the pink kind) 13.50

heat or cold pack. 1.50 for heat- 1.25 for cold

shipping - usually around 9.50 for me

deli cups(depends on what brand you use)- $5 for 20

gas- around here 2.75 a gallon.

I charge 12 bucks for priority. and many times I have had to pay out of my own pocket to cover the cost.

Also I have made the mistake and grabbed a flat rate had my wife send it and the charged her 14 bucks.

When you start shipping slings...you will understand. especially in the dead of winter or mid summer. things add up. the buyer pays for it.

express just became available in my area not long ago. I charge $27 for the service. knowing It actually will cost 30.

so quit whining.

Noexcuse4you

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Dude, I just got this awesome idea on how to save you a bunch of money on shipping and ensure you never get screwed over again...

Drive to the dealer's house and get it yourself! Man, why didn't I think of this before?! I'm a freakin' genius!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really? Offensive you say? :rolleyes:{D

Notice that there is a 100% spread on most of the materials. If you are paying more that's no one's fault but your own. Heat/cold packs, delicups/vials, and even packing materials can all be ordered online. Just because you CHOOSE to pay more, doesn't mean you should get upset when others are doing it for less. .
MISSED my point. By far.

1st: Im not saying someone is guilty NEITHER IM GETTING UPSET WHEN OTHERS DO IT FOR LESS. I DONT GIVE A DARN.

Im just saying that is RIDICULOUS to put a flat prices on materials. There are HUNDREDS of posible variables.

What if you live in the bunnies and have to drive far to get the materials.?

What if you dont sell often and you dont want to order online.?

What if my shipping is simply better than yours, therefore, heavier?

Get it?

Good thing I didn't then right? No one can tell you what to charge, however overcharging for profit is wrong. Hence, don't charge more than the actual cost of shipping.

Same as above.

Man...Just because I stated my opinion on your previous post Im not trying to offend you or attack you. What are we 10?