Postage profit !!

schadbone

Arachnopeon
Why is it, that all the T’s I have sent around the US (Priority Mail) have cost around $5.
And yet there are people who want to charge $15 for priority. :barf:

And yes, before you say it, I know there is a difference between Fedex, UPS, and USPS.

But I am talking same for same.

Lets keep it honest !!!! think of all those baby T's wanting to go to new homes, but who can't because of lost sales due to postage rip offs.. :embarrassed:

{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not sure if you're trolling or serious, but also take into consideration that boxes, foam, containers, packing materials, cold packs, heat packs, labels, etc., all cost money too.

ETA: Although I do agree that $15 seems a little high for Priority.

Last edited:

schadbone

Arachnopeon
You don't think the average person who has been doing this for a while, does not have all that stuff, recycle !!!!

I have not had to buy one box, and I have 5 sitting under my bench...

I'm not sure if you're trolling or serious, but also take into consideration that boxes, foam, containers, packing materials, cold packs, heat packs, labels, etc., all cost money too.

odiakkoh

Arachnosquire
You don't think the average person who has been doing this for a while, does not have all that stuff, recycle !!!!

I could see that if you're doing an equal amount of buying and selling (or more buying than selling) but aren't some people doing a lot more selling than buying?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

Nicole, I am with you. Priority typically ran me about 9.50 if I remember and then packing, vials, foam and boxes...

Added:

And driving to the post office... I would never leave my box at the door for the post man to pick up.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Another thought... Charge a bit more for priority to sway people from the NO LAG and get express and a LAG and a bit more tender care for your critters.

I truly have not a single issue paying $15 for priority.

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It also depends on the weight and distance of a package.. I can ship a priority package here in fl for about $ and express it for $20... Then again I can priority ship to CA for about $15 and Express ship on averaga about $32...

Nicole

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nicole, I am with you. Priority typically ran me about 9.50 if I remember and then packing, vials, foam and boxes...

Added:

And driving to the post office... I would never leave my box at the door for the post man to pick up.
Yep, there are lots of variables. Package weight, dimensions, distance shipped, etc, etc. Although, you can get free Priority shipping boxes from your PO if you can remember to go get them, unlike me {D

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont know how the people packs the stuff, but I never EVER paid less than 10 bucks for priority.
E-V-E-R.

I dont think is a ripp off at all. Dont like it? dont buy it.

Ripp off is the prices of certain dealer....s.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another thought... Charge a bit more for priority to sway people from the NO LAG and get express and a LAG and a bit more tender care for your critters.

I truly have not a single issue paying $15 for priority.
$15 for priority is not that bad.If it includes a foam lined box,and a cool pack,its a great deal IMHO.People need to realize that those items all cost money.When we ship,we use a new box($2),a cold pack(package of 2 for $5),and foam(whole sheet $9)that comes out of OUR pocket to insure critters get there in one piece and happy.If you ship a lot,these items can REALLY add up.That said,that is why we do a "flat rate" when it comes to shipping smaller orders to people.. Priority=12,Express=30.you lose a couple dollars here and there,but gain them back down the road.......Not out to make money,but not out to lose it,either.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can see where you are coming from. On trades and other deals I use just newspaper and whatnot, and I can use recyclable materials. So total shipping for me for a T is $6 or so for priority. But if you were selling, selling, selling, you have to purchase those supplies, which ups the cost.

When I ship out, I don't have to spend money because I have the supplies here already from previous orders. But I don't sell a huge inventory, while at the same time not making a lot of orders for myself.

I see where you are coming from though. :)

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

Totall agree, I charge 10-12 for priority...come with a cold pack, totally insulated box I hand cut, fragile label (not hand written ones) and also a hard vial.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I aint going to read through all the post.. This is my take..

You want to save money on priority? OK.. I can pack the T's in a super small box with the possibility of them getting crushed.. That should save you 5 bucks! *Thumbs up with a big cheesy grin!*

OR.....

I can go and get a box that is apropriate for shipping tarantulas.. Charge you and extra 5 bucks to cover the charge of shipping alone.... That way.. We dont risk the critters life because you wanted to save 5 bucks..

Now.. I say this because I had someone complain about my price of priority shipping.. He said.. "Put them in a smaller box.. Its cheaper..."

You know.. The fella is right about one thing.. It is cheaper.. But.. Its also more dangerous... If that dinky little box gets crushed.. The spiders could die! So refused to do what the guy wanted & he refused to buy the critters.. *Shrug* This is not an income for me.. If I am selling something.. Its because I am buying something else that I am more interested in.. Its a hobby.. Buy/Selling/Trading is all apart of this hobby..

Now.. Here are why my prices are what they are...

Express.. It cost $25-30 for a package to be shipped.. 90% of the time.. Its $27 & some change.. I only charge $25 to EVERYONE.. That means.. If it cost a few extra bucks.. That comes out of my pocket.. It is never a couple dollars cheaper..

Priority.. It can cost anywhere from $4.90 - $15 for me.... Now.. For $4.90 I am putting the T's into a package that is so small.. There will not be very much cushion for the T.. I wont use it...

Although.. I will say I have lowered my shipping charges.. Due to the new box I found.. It does cost me anywhere from $5-$8 for shipping.. Based on weight.. So most of the time.. It cost me $7.. Then.. If I add the .70 it cost for delivery confirmation number.. It might as well be $8 to cover the shipping fees..... I normally just take the extra out of what the buyer paid for the T's...

*Edit* I just reread that.. How unfair is that... How unfair is what you ask? This...

I normally just take the extra out of what the buyer paid for the T's...

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I dont know how the people packs the stuff, but I never EVER paid less than 10 bucks for priority.
E-V-E-R.

I dont think is a ripp off at all. Dont like it? dont buy it.

Ripp off is the prices of certain dealer....s.
I can testify to frans packing, I have and will continue to buy from him...here is why.

Most use 1/4" Styrofoam, Fran used 3/4" to 1" Styrofoam, the deli was packed full of padding, box had peanuts, and the works in it & the box was not some tiny thing either. The reason it cost you 10.00 Fran is because the packing you pit in your box weighs a lot more!

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can testify to frans packing, I have and will continue to buy from him...here is why.

Most use 1/4" Styrofoam, Fran used 3/4" to 1" Styrofoam, the deli was packed full of padding, box had peanuts, and the works in it & the box was not some tiny thing either. The reason it cost you 10.00 Fran is because the packing you pit in your box weighs a lot more!
True and thanks, but thats how we want to pack, right? :)

I mean I dont understand how people complains for $5-6 dollars when first, you are shipping an animal and 2nd you are spending 100+ dollars on it.

I mean...Many MANY times I have offered extra money to go the extra mile on the packing.Im sure you, Rob, as well as many have done so too.
Im not rich, I just have commons sense...you know?

:)

As a seller, almost EVERYTIME go the extra mile at my cost. I have bumped to Express at my cost like 100 times just because if the buyer is cheap my tarantula is not gonna pay for it.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight

ok do you ship probably close to 50+ boxes a week or 2 like some of the online sellers

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes, its a conspiracy against you. everyone out there is really just trying to make a quick buck off of your ignorance :wall:

seriously, this is kind of insulting. who wouldn't rather pay a few dollars to have their Ts shipped and have more confidence that they are alive when they get there? i know even with the most meager orders i've made the extra $15 was no sweat since i actually, you know, care about their safety in transit. :embarrassed:

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally like to have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that my T's will arrive alive. I don't mind paying $15 for shipping (and I am somewhat of a cheap person) but to off set the shipping cost just order several T's at one time:D thats my method.

P.S. I only order priority when weather conditions are moderate, other wise it is upped to overnight.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I personally like to have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that my T's will arrive alive. I don't mind paying $15 for shipping (and I am somewhat of a cheap person) but to off set the shipping cost just order several T's at one time:D thats my method.

P.S. I only order priority when weather conditions are moderate, other wise it is upped to overnight.
Exactly!And to those of you that want me to ship from ARIZONA IN THE SUMMMER,PRIORITY,the answer is still NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!