Post your Scolopendra polymorpha’s! Abnormal variations preferred!

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
I dig it. Did it lay eggs for you, or how did you find it to be female?
Centipedes are pretty easy to sex. When they’re used to handling, you can just pop ‘em without knocking them out. Plus, if it’s any North American sp, there’s plenty dimorphism between sexes. Maybe not as noticeable in the smaller species like polymorpha, viridis, Arthrorhabdus sp, etc, but it’s there. Lol

For my Albuquerque females, I have to find a male so I can try breeding them sooon as I just pulled them from winter temps.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Centipedes are pretty easy to sex. When they’re used to handling, you can just pop ‘em without knocking them out. Plus, if it’s any North American sp, there’s plenty dimorphism between sexes. Maybe not as noticeable in the smaller species like polymorpha, viridis, Arthrorhabdus sp, etc, but it’s there. Lol

For my Albuquerque females, I have to find a male so I can try breeding them sooon as I just pulled them from winter temps.
Really? Never heard of that method.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Really? Never heard of that method.
It's the third most popular method. Here they are in order:
  1. "Knock me out with CO2 and do whatever you want to me"
  2. "Drown me under water and hope I wasn't premoult"
  3. "I'll reveal my gender without CO2 or water if you let me inject my venom into your fingers"

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hey @Scoly (well, Andrew, haha, just wanted to tag you), I've had similar experiences with cingulata in France. On the same spot, they have a real RANGE of colourations: from the regular all-yellow to a darker body, then yellow body and red legs, dark body and red legs, ALL red (I've got one like this, they're the rarest)
All that is fascinating..

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Hey @Scoly (well, Andrew, haha, just wanted to tag you), I've had similar experiences with cingulata in France. On the same spot, they have a real RANGE of colourations: from the regular all-yellow to a darker body, then yellow body and red legs, dark body and red legs, ALL red (I've got one like this, they're the rarest)
All that is fascinating..
ALL red?! I need to see a photo of that!

Scoly

Arachnobaron
In fact, we should definitely keep this thread for S.polymorpha before it realises that it's European cousin S.cingulata (whose standard form is almost indistinguishable from polymorpha) is actually way more polymorhpic and gets jealous :D:D

CalPolymorpha

Arachnopeon
I recently caught a 4" southern California black-headed (capped) polymorpha with typical tiger bands and lots of blue on it still. Cap is very dark but thinking pede might be
pre-moult and it may change once it has moulted. I caught it way north of the southern Aztecorum range so it's not a ghost. Can't wait to see what it looks like once it has moulted.

IMG-3355.PNG IMG-3329.jpg