Feedback Request Post Reactions

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
An unusual Uhhhhhh? comment, the MPFC or WTH? -> I have absolutely no idea what to make of that! Was it English? Should I be wearing my tin foil hat or handkerchief with the little knots in the corners??
The conversation was along the lines of a group of scientifically minded people heard something and everyone was left a little stunned and confused-> "What The Hey/Heck was that all about?" "I think is was an MPFC" (Monty Pythons Flying Circus)

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Should have a threat display emoji for defensiveness or angry or something!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Emote: And....? (Go on, expand, fill in some more blanks, you got our attention)

I'd be using that a half dozen times a week.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Which ones "do you/do you not" actually consider "reactions"? Which would you get rid of and why?
For what purpose are you reviewing ratings? Is the goal to remove ambiguous ratings? To improve the overall tone so that people may feel less inclined to engage in petty slapfights?

If the goal is to reduce ambiguity, I'd consider removing Cake, Coffee, Cookie, and Lollipop. Lollipop and Cookie, in particular, seem to be interpreted contradictorily, with some assuming that they are insults and others assuming they are compliments. (Personally, I assume they are somewhat patronizing.) I have no idea what Cake and Coffee mean as reactions.

If that is the goal is to improve tone, Face Palm, Dislike, and Meh are probably the reactions most likely to be interpreted as hostile. Popcorn could be seen as encouraging others to argue for entertainment.

That being said, I think all of these reactions are relatively harmless, and I am not necessarily advocating that they be removed.

What reactions would you like to see added?
One I would like to see added would be a sort of "Thank You" reaction for if someone helps you. Not sure if it would be redundant because of the "Helpful" and "Informative" reactions, but its just a thought.
A "thank you" could be useful, although I tend to use Informative, Helpful, or Like for that function now.

I would love to see a “wow” or “shocked” type of reaction. Something with exclamation to react to a post.
I would use a "wow" or "shocked" reaction.

Should have a threat display emoji for defensiveness or angry or something!
This would amuse me.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I'd like to see a "wow" post reaction which could be added to the active account and up. Some posts are of the wow variety (as in positive reactions of course!)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
The available reactions have changed a bit since the upgrade. We've removed most of the food ones as they were "ambiguous" and not really "reactions" per se and added a few new ones. There may be more changes made down the line.

• Standard Account (everyone can use)
    • Dislike
    • Thanks - New
    • Agree
    • Disagree
    • Informative
    • Funny
    • Sad - New
    • Helpful
    • Wow - New
  • Active Account (Active members, Arachnosupporter members, & Arachnosupporter Plus members can use)
    • Love
    • Optimistic
    • Useful
    • Creative
    • Angry - New
    • Award
    • Thinking - New
    • Lollipop - No longer available
  • Arachnosupporter Account (Arachnosupporter members & Arachnosupporter Plus members can use)
    • Winner
    • Meh
    • Clarification please
    • Mind Blown - New
    • Coffee - No longer available
    • Cake - No longer available
  • Arachnosupporter Plus Account (Arachnosupporter Plus members can use)
    • Beer - No longer available
    • Cookie - No longer available
    • Popcorn
    • Facepalm

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The available reactions have changed a bit since the upgrade. We've removed most of the food ones as they were "ambiguous" and not really "reactions" per se and added a few new ones. There may be more changes made down the line.

Standard Account (everyone can use)
  • Dislike
  • Thanks - New
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Informative
  • Funny
  • Sad - New
  • Helpful
  • Wow - New
I am not seeing dislike or disagree. Is this intentional?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
It depends on the forum that you are in. Not all reactions are available in all forums.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It depends on the forum that you are in. Not all reactions are available in all forums.
What is the rationale behind that?

Which forums are supposed to have them? So far, I haven't noticed them as an option anywhere.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
They're not available in the arachnoboards information forums (I don't care if anyone dislikes or disagrees with what I say) :rofl:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Wait....no beer????are you serious!!
Its the symbol for relax,chill,take a load off,dont be so self-centered and sure of yourself!
I always thought the lollipop was meant to be,dont be childish.And I have kids and grandkids,so I know this condition.
Cake,who knows.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Wait....no beer????are you serious!!
Its the symbol for relax,chill,take a load off,dont be so self-centered and sure of yourself!
I always thought the lollipop was meant to be,dont be childish.And I have kids and grandkids,so I know this condition.
Cake,who knows.
See, I always thought of beer as a sort of "cheers!" (Ie a positive reaction) which is a pretty good sign that the rationale for removing them - that they're ambiguous and subject to misinterpretation - is sound... I miss beer, coffee, etc too, but do understand why removing them is likely for the best

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
Having different reactions available on different subforums is confusing to me, it's like multiple layers of which ratings I can use at any given moment. It made sense with just the original single layer (active, standard, etc) but with the added one it seems almost chaotic in my mind.

Maybe I'm overreacting because it's brand new and my head is spinning with the new layout because change is hard for me, but I'm confused about this now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We currently have a total of 23 Post Reactions broken down into groups that only certain members can use:
  • Standard Account(everyone can use)
    • Dislike
    • Agree
    • Disagree
    • Informative
    • Funny
    • Helpful
  • Active Account(Active members, Arachnosupporter members, & Arachnosupporter Plus members can use)
    • Love
    • Optimistic
    • Useful
    • Creative
    • award
    • Lollipop
  • Arachnosupporter Account(Arachnosupporter members & Arachnosupporter Plus members can use)
    • Winner
    • Meh
    • Coffee
    • Cake
  • Arachnosupporter Plus Account(Arachnosupporter Plus members can use)
    • Beer
    • Cookie
    • Popcorn
    • Facepalm
Which ones "do you/do you not" actually consider "reactions"? Which would you get rid of and why? What reactions would you like to see added?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards,
MrD
I like them all, except the thinking icon.

I wish we had back the CLARIFICATION ICON, that saves time in typing out something.

Is there a different icon for Informative? LIke a brain perhaps? A push-pin makes me think of bookmarking/saving items, but not informative.

Agree, I’ve never used the lollipop ‘cos I don’t know if it’s meant to sarcastic or not. Is it a reward for someone who’s good or is it to placate a kid having a tantrum?

I would also like a thank you button and maybe a Sorry.

I've used it quite a bit. I've always viewed it as positive, and THOUGHT that's how people viewed it too...till I read your post hah

Last edited by a moderator:

Lolth62

Arachnosquire
I would like to see some of the ones like face palm go because of the way it can be interpreted, there are enough critics without being so harsh to scare people away that may need advice or benefit from opinions of others. Just saying for myself before someone facepalm me on this, I am aware of friends that dropped out of groups due to feeling so disrespected and criticized. If one aspect of having this group is to help others and share knowledge why would anyone want to make someone feel unwanted with such responses disagree is fine btw

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
'Thank you' would be nice. So would a "are you kidding me" reaction. (Or perhaps a "you beat out 20 million other sperm to get here?" reaction).

Truly, thank you is a good reaction -- be nice if it was available for most people.
....... So....... 😁

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
I always thought it'd be cool if there were male/female reactions.
The purpose of this is to just pop a reaction under an image that another forum member uploaded for sexing of their tarantula/whatever.
I mean it does not take much time to write male or female underneath the image,but those who want their spiders to be sexed would maybe want more opinions,and i imagine a lot more people would give their opinion if it was just a reaction instead of having to go down to comment.