Post molt feeding

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
I am curious if after waiting the appropriate length of time for the fangs to harden after a molt if people power feed their Ts to fatten them a bit if they are skinny after their molt? I've finally had all my Ts molt in my care and many of them have molted several times, but my very 1st T, my avic avic just had it's 1st molt with me a few weeks ago. I find that kind of funny that the 1st T I ever brought home is the last of them all to molt in my care. Anyways she is rather skinny and I want to feed her extra. Should I? Normally I just give my Ts 1 cricket per week. She is now my largest T and I think she's about 4.5 DLS. I want to give her 4 or 5 crickets and then resume the 1 cricket a week feeding. Should I do this or not?

I have a pic of her here post molt with her skinny self.

Attachments

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I normally give an extra feeding or two after a molt depending on how skinny its looking, 4-5 in one feeding is a bit much, but feeding it a cricket or two and then checking to see how its looking, and if its still skinny give it a few more. my P. Irminia just had its second post molt feeding the day after its first when it decides to come out of its burrow again it will get another if its still skinny looking.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
First off beautiful Avic.

After one of my Ts molt I wait what I feel is an appropriate amount of time to offer food which is relative to the size of the T.Larger Ts harden slower than smaller Ts.

When I feel it's safe to resume feeding I offer a single prey item.. If the T takes it I wait untill the next day and start feeding it heavy..I will feed it 1-2 appropriately sized prey items daily or bi-daily untill it has regained the majority of weight back from its molt. I then resume it's normal feeding shedule..

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
For me the schedule remains the same as I like to keep all groups of the same species on the same schedule. But I will offer post molt ts much larger meals, and by the time they have fattened, I am feeding rather small meals.

Dropping 5 crickets in with your avic will be just fine...it will eat them all eventually....or right away.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I'm probably doing it wrong.
I tend to feed more often if one just moulted but not necessarily larger meals, just more frequent meals. And then, just for the first couple weeks (I certainly don't want to overfeed to the extent I am creating a long fast!). But following a few weeks of 'fattening up and spoiling' -- then back to normal feeding.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
Over the weekend I gave her a medium sized hornworm and her abdomen size hardly changed. After reading everyone's posts here, I gave her 2 crickets a few minutes ago and she took them down right away. I think I will see how her abdomen looks next time she comes out of her log and maybe offer her more prey items if needed.