Possibly Gravid?

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
I have a small colony of 4 Emperor Scorpions (believed to be all males, but I knew there was a chance of females) and one out of four looks very round. Is she gravid, or possibly ready to molt? How do I take care of the babies? Should I seperate her from the colony?
Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

Stugy

Arachnolord
Not sure if gravid or not. You might want to separate her from the colony just in case she is gravid because the others can cause her stress. All I really know :/ Good luck!

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
Not sure if gravid or not. You might want to separate her from the colony just in case she is gravid because the others can cause her stress. All I really know :/ Good luck!
Alright, I think I'll separate her tomorrow! Can she later be reintroduced to the colony, or is it once they are separated then they can't join again?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have a small colony of 4 Emperor Scorpions (believed to be all males, but I knew there was a chance of females) and one out of four looks very round. Is she gravid, or possibly ready to molt? How do I take care of the babies? Should I seperate her from the colony?
Any help would be appreciated!!
Is that some kind of wood chip substrate?

They need several inches of moist substrate such as coco fiber to burrow in. That wood chip stuff is not suitable at all and they can injure themselves in it. It also does not hold humidity.

Looks like you might have true P. imperators there and it would be a shame if they died.

Post images of the whole enclosure. You may need to fix more than just the substrate.

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
Is that some kind of wood chip substrate?

They need several inches of moist substrate such as coco fiber to burrow in. That wood chip stuff is not suitable at all and they can injure themselves in it. It also does not hold humidity.

Looks like you might have true P. imperators there and it would be a shame if they died.

Post images of the whole enclosure. You may need to fix more than just the substrate.
I already had my head bitten off from the fb group about that. I was using cypress, but I have switched to coco fiber. I only had one block at home and I made the enclosure for the one I plan on separating for a while. I need to change out the big enclosure, but this is what I have for the fatty.

Attachments

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I already had my head bitten off from the fb group about that. I was using cypress, but I have switched to coco fiber. I only had one block at home and I made the enclosure for the one I plan on separating for a while. I need to change out the big enclosure, but this is what I have for the fatty.
Take the stones out of the water dish. All they do is harbor bacteria and your Scorpions are capable of drinking from a regular dish of water.

FYI You may want to use some type of plastic disposable cups in the future. It makes cleaning the dish so much easier because you just throw out the old one and replace it with a new one instead of having to scrub the slime off of a permanent dish.

bowieisbae

Arachnopeon
Take the stones out of the water dish. All they do is harbor bacteria and your Scorpions are capable of drinking from a regular dish of water.

FYI You may want to use some type of plastic disposable cups in the future. It makes cleaning the dish so much easier because you just throw out the old one and replace it with a new one instead of having to scrub the slime off of a permanent dish.
Ok cool! I was just thinking if that one does turn out to be gravid, will the babies be ok with the water dish being deep?(once they are able to wander on their own) But I guess if I'm going to look for new dishes I could pick a shallower one

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ok cool! I was just thinking if that one does turn out to be gravid, will the babies be ok with the water dish being deep?(once they are able to wander on their own) But I guess if I'm going to look for new dishes I could pick a shallower one
If I were you I would go with more shallow petri dish / souffle cup type dishes.

Which speaking of water dishes some of mine need changing.

Cheers!