Possible they eat anyways in pre-molt?

runCMD

Arachnopeon
The LP I picked up last week was shy around food but would end up eating them anyways(even a dubia yesterday). I received it's new Exo Terra yesterday, so when I modified the lid I moved her right over. She proceeded to close up the hide first thing, wondering if she is going to try to molt.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
The LP I picked up last week was shy around food but would end up eating them anyways(even a dubia yesterday). I received it's new Exo Terra yesterday, so when I modified the lid I moved her right over. She proceeded to close up the hide first thing, wondering if she is going to try to molt.

Some species eat until they molt, although it is usually slings and juvies who pull that off. I have read posts of 'hungry' species like A.geniculata, L.parahybana, and C.cyaneopubescens molting the day after they have fed.

runCMD

Arachnopeon
Great! thanks. Yeah this is still a small one - probably would be classified as juvie?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Great! thanks. Yeah this is still a small one - probably would be classified as juvie?
What's the DLS?
By the way, it could also be just in need of some alone time after the rehouse. Is there a lot of space for the L.parahybana to climb in the Exo? Because they like to climb but aren't very good at it, resulting in falling. When there is more than 2 times their DLS of space, it might get injured.

runCMD

Arachnopeon
I packed the back up a little tall with substrate for that reason - I think it could maybe use some more in the back right corner. This is the 8x8x8 and I haven't gotten a good measurement of DLS but I think it's about 3"

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That could work,provided there are no sharp/protruding edges to fall on. If you can I would try to add some, but after it emerges again.

runCMD

Arachnopeon
Heres a picture from when I first added in for scale. Can't add any more in front due to the mechanism as you can see:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I would have gone with a different enclosure. I keep it mine simple with a basic critter keeper, hide and a water dish. My juvy LP is thriving just fine! Attached isn't the greatest pic, but I'm not home to take a better pic. As you will also see, she always covers her water dish with dirt. lol

Just don't over think the enclosure. This little suspect 2.5-3" girl has been thriving in this medium sized critter keeper enclosure for 3.5 years. No issues.

Attachments

runCMD

Arachnopeon
The enclosure choice was as much for my wife as me. She didn't care for the KK I had her in previously. (The Ts are in my office/guest room). I like the capability to open from the front and I'm willing to spend the money to get uniform looking enclosure for all the Ts I may get, at least for now. Plus I got 3 of these things for only $23 each.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
The enclosure choice was as much for my wife as me. She didn't care for the KK I had her in previously. (The Ts are in my office/guest room). I like the capability to open from the front and I'm willing to spend the money to get uniform looking enclosure for all the Ts I may get, at least for now. Plus I got 3 of these things for only $23 each.
i understand the desire for a nice enclosure, but with how skittish and flighty this species is I'd rather have a top opening enclosure
I understand the desire for a nice enclosure, but with how skittish and flighty this species can be, I wouldn't have a front opening enclosure. Plus those hairs on the LP can be vicious.

runCMD

Arachnopeon
I can clarify some. These open on top or front. I replaced the mesh in the lid with acrylic with drilled holes in all three. The GBB I can open from the front, the LP I can open from the back. Luckily this LP has been pretty skittish but not aggressive and hasn't kicked any hairs at me. I am aware that can change molt to molt - however I think the smoothness of opening this enclosure vs the KK I had will actually help.
(Yes I am aware I sound like and probably am a hard-headed noob right now)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I can clarify some. These open on top or front. I replaced the mesh in the lid with acrylic with drilled holes in all three. The GBB I can open from the front, the LP I can open from the back. Luckily this LP has been pretty skittish but not aggressive and hasn't kicked any hairs at me. I am aware that can change molt to molt - however I think the smoothness of opening this enclosure vs the KK I had will actually help.
(Yes I am aware I sound like and probably am a hard-headed noob right now)
Maybe an excited noob, but not necessarily "hard headed". ;)

All of the LP's I have had over the years have been skittish and defensive, not aggressive. There's a pretty distinct difference between aggressive and defensive, which has been debated for many years. They are pretty quick to kick hairs and if you catch any of those hairs you're gonna have a bad time. lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

All of the LP's I have had over the years have been skittish and defensive, not aggressive. There's a pretty distinct difference between aggressive and defensive, which has been debated for many years. They are pretty quick to kick hairs and if you catch any of those hairs you're gonna have a bad time. lol
That seems to be different from one person to the next, how sensitive one is to those hairs. I am extremely sensitive to Brachypelma and Avicularia hairs, but haven't had any trouble with Lasiodora....

runCMD

Arachnopeon

For sure, it is one of the things I considered when buying this T. I had a run-in with T. blondi (or stirmi who knows at the time) hairs back in my teenage years. Not pleasant.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
That seems to be different from one person to the next, how sensitive one is to those hairs. I am extremely sensitive to Brachypelma and Avicularia hairs, but haven't had any trouble with Lasiodora....
In my experience, not quite as bad a Nhandu or Theraphosa, but worst the Brachys.

Strange you've have issues with your Avics, because I have never had issues with mine.

runCMD

Arachnopeon
As a quick update she ended up opening a hole a little yesterday. Left a dubia on it's back at the entrance that was grabbed up and now we're sealed up again lol.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
As a quick update she ended up opening a hole a little yesterday. Left a dubia on it's back at the entrance that was grabbed up and now we're sealed up again lol.
She still might be in premolt. My LP has eaten up to days before a molt, albeit she hasn't molted in like 2.5 years. lol

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
In my experience, not quitetheirad a Nhandu or Theraphosa, but worst the Brachys.

Strange you've have issues with your Avics, because I have never had issues with mine.
With the Avics it is not from direct contact (handling), but when i open their enclosures they have those hairs floating around or incorporated in the webbing. And since they live in the top, and i have top opening enclosures, the slightest breeze is enough to get them airborne.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
With the Avics it is not from direct contact (handling), but when i open their enclosures they have those hairs floating around or incorporated in the webbing. And since they live in the top, and i have top opening enclosures, the slightest breeze is enough to get them airborne.
I've been keeping Avics for over 10 years and have never had an issue. Way more issues with the Nhandu & Theraphosa genus and LP's!