Possible Tarantula Hairs on eyelid!! G.rosea

Bugcatcherbilly

Arachnopeon
I was trying to get to my G.rosea water dish cause it needed cleaned and of course she wouldn't move away from it. I tried to guide her away from it and all she did was try to bite the ruler I was using to move her. She eventually gave a tiny little hair flick but I wasn't all that close to her. Maybe 30 seconds later my eyelid starts to hurt a little, almost feels like I have little splinters on my eyelid. I woke up this morning and my eyelid is pretty red and swelled up. Any suggestions on how to remove them or treat it. Or if it's possible it's not hairs but something else?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I was trying to get to my G.rosea water dish cause it needed cleaned and of course she wouldn't move away from it. I tried to guide her away from it and all she did was try to bite the ruler I was using to move her. She eventually gave a tiny little hair flick but I wasn't all that close to her. Maybe 30 seconds later my eyelid starts to hurt a little, almost feels like I have little splinters on my eyelid. I woke up this morning and my eyelid is pretty red and swelled up. Any suggestions on how to remove them or treat it. Or if it's possible it's not hairs but something else?
You absolutely need to go to an optometrist. No question, and I'm not exaggerating. It will be a fairly simple treatment (a regiment of corticosteroids seem to be the consensus), but ignoring the problem could lead to bad consequences. Constant inflammation to start, and possible damage to your retina at worst. Even with treatment, a woman with a similar story to yours was still feeling the effects nine months after the incident even with optometrist intervention. They were still removing setae two months later and treating lesions six months later.

Source:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016164208833191X

Bugcatcherbilly

Arachnopeon
You absolutely need to go to an optometrist. No question, and I'm not exaggerating. It will be a fairly simple treatment (a regiment of corticosteroids seem to be the consensus), but ignoring the problem could lead to bad consequences. Constant inflammation to start, and possible damage to your retina at worst. Even with treatment, a woman with a similar story to yours was still feeling the effects nine months after the incident even with optometrist intervention. They were still removing setae two months later and treating lesions six months later.

Source:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016164208833191X
Even if it's not in my eye? It's on the outside of my eyelid, thank god it didn't get in my eye. It doesn't really hurt anymore it's just swelled a little.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
As a man I would ignore the problem until it went away or led to an ER visit.

If you have health insurance a quick doctor visit should hopefully be like $30. They could at least tell you whether you need to see an optometrist/ opthomologist or not.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron

If you have health insurance a quick doctor visit should hopefully be like $30. They could at least tell you whether you need to see an optometrist/ opthomologist or not.
God I love free health care. Jesus Christ hopefully 30 bucks?? wow

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I went to the doctor to treat gout a few months back. It was a 15 minute visit, and he prescribed some steroids. My copay (what I owed after insurance, my deductible had already been paid earlier in the year) was $400. I don't have great insurance, but I do have insurance. Tells you a lot about the medical system in this country.

Even if it's not in my eye? It's on the outside of my eyelid, thank god it didn't get in my eye. It doesn't really hurt anymore it's just swelled a little.
You don't know that it's not in your eye. In the article I linked, the woman didn't have any symptoms in her eye until a few days later.

Bugcatcherbilly

Arachnopeon

Thanks you

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I went to the doctor to treat gout a few months back. It was a 15 minute visit, and he prescribed some steroids. My copay (what I owed after insurance, my deductible had already been paid earlier in the year) was $400. I don't have great insurance, but I do have insurance. Tells you a lot about the medical system in this country.

You don't know that it's not in your eye. In the article I linked, the woman didn't have any symptoms in her eye until a few days later.
With the complete debacle that turned our healthcare upside down nothing surprises me I suppose. My premiums have doubled in about 2 years, but an office visit is a $25 copay. Thats just to be seen though. I have no doubt treatment for just about anything would not be less than $100.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
With the complete debacle that turned our healthcare upside down nothing surprises me I suppose. My premiums have doubled in about 2 years, but an office visit is a $25 copay. Thats just to be seen though. I have no doubt treatment for just about anything would not be less than $100.
I work full time in management, and I'm also a full time student working on a graduate degree. I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing in life, and I can't go to the doctor because I can't afford it. I had severe food poisoning a few weeks back - bad enough that I absolutely should have gone to the hospital. I didn't because that bill would have broken me. Meanwhile my half-brother is unemployed (by choice), living off of his mother's income, and has no plans to work any time in the future. He gets 100% of his medical bills paid by the State. Something is amiss there.

Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
I work full time in management, and I'm also a full time student working on a graduate degree. I'm doing what I'm supposed to be doing in life, and I can't go to the doctor because I can't afford it. I had severe food poisoning a few weeks back - bad enough that I absolutely should have gone to the hospital. I didn't because that bill would have broken me. Meanwhile my half-brother is unemployed (by choice), living off of his mother's income, and has no plans to work any time in the future. He gets 100% of his medical bills paid by the State. Something is amiss there.

Okay, I'll get off of my soapbox.
I'm with ya. We've been paying huge monthly payments on medical bills from the kids' births and complications and such for almost 3 years. 1 more year to go as long as no new medical bills/ emergencies etc...

OP, don't let any of this scare you from going to the doctor for your eye. :)

Bugcatcherbilly

Arachnopeon
I'm with ya. We've been paying huge monthly payments on medical bills from the kids' births and complications and such for almost 3 years. 1 more year to go as long as no new medical bills/ emergencies etc...

OP, don't let any of this scare you from going to the doctor for your eye. :)
I won't, my vision is more important than money

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
Please keep us updated if it was hairs.
My A. geniculata kick hairs just for looking at them.
I'm careful to keep my hands away from my face till I wash really well. Never thought the hairs could get up high enough to get in my eyes.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Meanwhile my half-brother is unemployed (by choice), living off of his mother's income, and has no plans to work any time in the future. He gets 100% of his medical bills paid by the State. Something is amiss there.
Your half-brother has to be a Legend, what you said reminds me of Italy :kiss:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
@Bugcatcherbilly

Two things:

1) As others said, an 'Eye-Doc' visit is suggested.

2) Something like that, with a Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) wouldn't had happened. Praise the Goddess!

Bugcatcherbilly

Arachnopeon
Please keep us updated if it was hairs.
My A. geniculata kick hairs just for looking at them.
I'm careful to keep my hands away from my face till I wash really well. Never thought the hairs could get up high enough to get in my eyes.
I did a ton of yard work today and it didn't bother me. It hasn't swelled anymore but it hasn't gone down. Doesn't really hurt anymore and when it does it's only for a couple minutes, it's kinda weird. I'm gonna keep icing it but if it's still like this tomorrow or gets worse I'll be going to the doctor.

cold blood

Staff member
haha, op is in the US, not Canada....our health care is most certainly NOT free...a $30 visit would be the co pay....on top of your insurance premiums. i agree though, if you got it free...god bless, i envy your system.