Possible substrate allergy?

cmfk93

Arachnopeon
I have a b. Boehmei and using Eco Earth coco fiber for its substrate. I re-housed my t into a smaller enclosure and soon after started having really bad allergies. Wondering what alternatives to coco fiber might be a good option that’s less likely to cause allergies?

cmfk93

Arachnopeon
It’s possible, it wasn’t flicking hairs at the time though. There definitely could’ve been some in the enclosure. I’m not sure what reaction to expect from its hairs but I know this particular species has nasty ones. I’ve only had it for a couple of weeks so my experience is limited at this point.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I’m not sure what reaction to expect from its hairs but I know this particular species has nasty ones.
They're no worse than any other Brachypelma species but people do react differently to different species (Brachy hairs don't bother me at all but some people have reported breaking out in hives from doing routine maintenance on enclosures) and you can develop reactions with repeated exposure.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
You've probably been haired by the substrate that the specimen kicked off onto its enclosure. Tarantulas will sometimes kick hairs around their enclosure as a pre-measure sometimes or sometimes they just kick hairs around for their own reasons such as pre-molt, etc. I highly doubt that you've been allergic to the substrate, but rather the hairs that has been kicked onto the substrate by your little one. People all react differently to tarantula hairs and species, some people won't feel a thing and others will feel the full itch and reactions.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a b. Boehmei and using Eco Earth coco fiber for its substrate. I re-housed my t into a smaller enclosure and soon after started having really bad allergies. Wondering what alternatives to coco fiber might be a good option that’s less likely to cause allergies?
Top soil- sounds like you have setae in your body

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Are you allergic to coconut? I have heard about this with other people. But just because you don't seem them kick hair doesnt mean their enclosures aren't full of it

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
my first guess is loose setae in the original substrate during change. Some Ts leave some at the mouths of their burrows as a security measure. That would be guess 1, guess 2 is perhaps an allergy to coconut. So have you eaten coconut and NOT had any issues?

cold blood

Staff member
Im allergic to dust...I cant use peat because of it....coco fiber can have the same effect....which would be an asthma attack.

Use dirt.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Most likely you are having a reaction to loose setae that was in the substrate and in the enclosure, but people sometimes do have allergies to other organic materials. But the shortest point between these two points when dealing with a new world tarantula would be that you may be more allergic to urticating setae than others or you had thought or realized.

Elder

Arachnopeon
My coco fiber does give me an irritated throagt, and a little bit of flem ever since I got it. I'm kind of getting used to it though.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
I'm a bit on the fence on what's causing this, as although I have heard of people being allergic to coco fibre, seeing as your symptoms started after rehousing a species known for prolific hair kicking. New world tarantulas kick a lot of hair both during the actual rehousing and lining the burrow of the enclosure as a defensive measure. So it could be the hairs you're reacting to.

As suggested, switch to top soil but wear long sleeves and gloves to protect against those setae, even when doing maintenance.

You'll eventually work out which culprit caused the allergic response.

cmfk93

Arachnopeon
I’m going to pick up some new substrate for my T soon to see if that’s the issue. I’ve heard people recommend Jungle Mix and Reptisoil. I read horror stories about people using the wrong Topsoil for their T’s so I think I’ll pass on that. So far my allergies have been - Nasal congestion, clogged ears, tight throat, coughing, periodic itching. I’d really be upset if it’s my tarantula doing this to me. 😢 but I also understand I can develop new allergies at anytime.wish I could pinpoint what’s exactly going on.

Are you allergic to coconut? I have heard about this with other people. But just because you don't seem them kick hair doesnt mean their enclosures aren't full of it
Nope, not allergic to coconut, as far as I’m aware, eating it doesn’t seem to cause any reaction. I noticed after re-housing it’s tiny fine hairs all over its substrate, and of course my dumbass wasn’t wearing a mask or gloves so... 🤷‍♂️

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
yea most likely just a reaction to all those hairs. Long sleeves and gloves next time! but yea topsoil works instead just make sure whatever it is without pesticides or fertilizers