Possible Premolt?

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
I've had my B. emilia going on two months now and I'm wondering if it's in premolt. It's bald spot went from pink to black in a matter of days, but has been black close to a week now. Below are some pictures of the lil guy and some of his enclosure also. Can you guys give me some input on whether or not it might be molting? He has only eaten twice since I've had him. How does his enclosure look?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks premolt. My B. albo just recently molted, but it stayed in premolt for 2-3 weeks. Took forever. Setup looks good, the only thing really, is a little more substrate wouldn't hurt. (Decreases the risk of injury from a fall).

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Looks premolt. My B. albo just recently molted, but it stayed in premolt for 2-3 weeks. Took forever. Setup looks good, the only thing really, is a little more substrate wouldn't hurt. (Decreases the risk of injury from a fall).
Cool. I was already thinking of adding more because of something I read on another post. I'll probably wait till after it molts though. I've been spraying the substrate and walls about every other day. Is that sufficient?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool. I was already thinking of adding more because of something I read on another post. I'll probably wait till after it molts though. I've been spraying the substrate and walls about every other day. Is that sufficient?
Sufficient for what? You have a waterdish....

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Premolt can vary from spider to spider. It might be days, weeks... and as they get older, months. Smaller spiders, like this one, a few days is probable. I have three right now I suspect of premolt... and one I am certain is in premolt, and has been for a month.

The only thing I would change (though additional substrate, about another inch, can't hurt) is to put a couple of small rocks or those flat fishtank marbles in the water dish. If I drop a cricket in my T enclosures, they often go straight into the water dish. This way the rocks give them a way to get out.

Keep us posted on molt progress!

Marga

winwin

Arachnoknight
If the butt is black and shiny, it's in premolt. :D I can remember the first time I had a premolt T, I can't help but check on it every few hours. Lol

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I remember reading that I need to elevate the humidity levels while they are in premolt?
Nope! It can induce a molt sometimes, but doesn't do anything to help with the molt. Just make sure its water dish is full and wait!

webbedone

Arachnobaron
looks definatly premolt to me keep the temp high and spray one side of the enclosure to promote higher humidity and one day when you forget to look and check on it in the morning it will molt!

PS

Remove and destroy the little carry handle on the kritter keeper so that you arent tempted to pick that thing up by the handle!

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Nope! It can induce a molt sometimes, but doesn't do anything to help with the molt. Just make sure its water dish is full and wait!
Ok. I've been misting every other day. I'll stop that. I don't pick it up by the handle lol. Those things aren't very trustworthy. How high should I raise the temps?

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't pick it up by the handle lol. Those things aren't very trustworthy.
Even if you don't pick it up by the handle, it is possible to do so and you can do so without thinking. Safer to remove it and toss it. ;) Mr. Gone made that mistake once and our emperor scorpions got a very mini earthquake. Since they were just a few inches over the carpet it wasn't a big deal, but it could have been if they were higher from the ground.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What temp should I keep it at while in premolt?
Aaaah now see that is a debatable subject. I would keep it at the same temperature your room is already. I wouldn't try and up the temp, because it will molt regardless. Right now our sling shelf is at 64 degrees and our P. irminia are still molting like normal. I bet you keep your house a bit warmer than we do though, so your temps should also be fine.

However, like I said this will be a debatable subject, so if you want to get more opinions on the matter; pull up the advanced search and try searching in the Tarantula Q&D with the words "molting" "temps". If those words don't work, try a different set, or add more words. You might have to play catch with it a bit to make friends, but once you get acquainted it can be your best friend/ asset on this forum. :)

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Just dropping by before I lay down. Still no molt :( He has, however, crawled back in his hide so maybe I will see something in the morning. I'm pretty sure my C. cyaneopubescens is in premolt too lol! I can't take a picture b/c of the way it's webbed up. It's close to an inch and in 4th instar according to seller. It hasn't eaten in about a week which is definitely not like the lil guy. Does the GBB sp molt on it's side or on it's back?

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Now my emilia is on the side of its enclosure right up by the lid. Weird...

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just dropping by before I lay down. Still no molt :( He has, however, crawled back in his hide so maybe I will see something in the morning.
Have you ever heard the saying "A watched pot never boils"? ;) It will molt eventually, but don't stress if it takes awhile before it does.

Does the GBB sp molt on it's side or on it's back?
All tarantulas will normally molt on their backs. There are the odd cases of upright and side molts, but they are anomalies and not the norm.

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
First Molt!

{D My GBB is on his back!!!! Wow! I feel like a proud papa. lol. The b. emilia looks like it won't be long behind. I can't even put into words how I feel. I'll update when I have more. :D

Joelolly

Arachnosquire
Is it ok to move it's enclosure every so often into better light so I can see or should I completely leave it alone?

Amelia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeeeahhh, definitely don't hold your breath waiting on a B. emilia to molt.... It might molt tomorrow. Might molt sometime next month...