Possible Pre-molt activity...

HannibalCmp

Arachnopeon
He/she has webbed more than he/she ever has. He/she has webbed the water dish and a little bit of the entrance to his hide which is very wide

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not saying this is the case, but Tarantula's will web up substrate they don't like the feel of.
What is your substrate? What kind of T do you have? How long has it been in there? I'm just wondering.:) I'm not doggin ya.

Ernie

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have what seems to be a perfect mix of peat/potting soil for my seemani. It has webbed nearly the whole top of the substrate. I'll admit the top layer is a little loose and dry but why doesn't it like the potting soil/peat mix? I thought that was their favourite?

My A.geniculata does the same thing but only in the areas where she goes most often.

Thanks,

Mark

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Again, I wasn't saying it doesn't like it, but it may not. T's web up their burrows in the wild from top to bottom. Just like they do in the enclosures we provide them. In some cases.
I have two T's of the same species with the same substrate. One has webbed up its whole floor and the other hasn't. I guess to each its own, goes for T's too.
But if a T has been in its home for a while and then decides to change things around, it may be because it doesn't like the way things are, IMO.

Ernie

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by HannibalCmp
He/she has webbed more than he/she ever has. He/she has webbed the water dish and a little bit of the entrance to his hide which is very wide
I've found webbing to be the first pre-molt activity. Shortly thereafter, the spider loses interest in eating, becomes sluggish, and assumes a dull, darker appearance.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
My rose is always laying silk down. It covers most of her floor infact. But she hasnt molted in ages, and its unlikely she will. Same with Scarlet my red knee. She has laid down silk when I got her in June but she hasnt molted.