Possible leg injury

aquelitto

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I have two Smithi's about the same age (almost 4 years old).

I noticed that one of them is having some problems (I think) on the legs, they are bald and red ish color. I have to mention that the enclosure has really good air holes and at night she uses to climb them (about 3 cm from the ground) and get her legs through them, making noises.

Is this injury bad? Would it affect her life? If yes, what can I do to help her?

Thank you!
20191104_234348.jpg 20191104_234342.jpg

ShinyTurd

Arachnopeon
Im not quite sure what happened, but if she is not bleeding nor is she really handicapped you should be okay. Make sure your T has access to a water source. Next molt ilthe injury wil most likely disappear completely.

cold blood

Staff member
Leg injuries are almost never serious. A tarantula has the ability to close off a valve at the base of the leg to prevent bleeding out from leg injuries. There's nothing for you to do just wait next molt it may amputate or just begin the process of new growth.

Feral

Arachnobaron
It seems like you're not seeing "blood" (clearish liquid) or lameness, just hair loss from the patellae and tibiae on both front legs so yes, what they said, excellent advice. But also- you should fix the reason this happened. The root. You know, so it doesn't keep happening or even get worse. If putting her legs through the ventilation holes is causing the injuries, which are basically abrasions from friction, she needs smaller (but more numerous, to compensate) air holes. You dig?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Looks like the leg is pretty bald. But leg injuries are inconsequential. If it's enough of a burden the leg will just be dropped and come back later.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Definitely fix those holes if she keeps pushing her legs through them. Losing setae is no big deal, nor are leg injuries for a T in general, but it would still be pretty rotten if one of these times her leg gets stuck and she loses one over such an avoidable situation.

Last edited:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Definitely fix those holes if she keeps pushing her legs through them. Losing setae is no big deal, nor or leg injuries for a T in general, but it would still be pretty rotten if one of these times her leg gets stuck and she loses one over such an avoidable situation.
Some simple solutions I've thought of for OP is tape, then put smaller holes in the tape; Use hot glue to decrease the size of the holes.
this is what i've thought of on the top of my head. If I saw the situation I could get better ideas.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Honestly, I think their legs are just missing setae, nothing to be worry about.

About the air holes, I think all the guys here just made their points.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Not too clear on the damage from the photo, but if its only the leg it should be fine since they can detach a leg if they need to (or if they even just feel they should lol).

aquelitto

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to cover the air holes with transparent tape from the inside and make little holes. I will attach pictures of the holes and of the T environment.
20191105_180938.jpg 20191105_180834.jpg

also here's a picture of them little babies
20191105_182029.jpg
(the white dots are just calcium dots as sometimes I feed the Ts just after I feed my Bearded Dragons with calcium'd Madagascars)

thank you again!