Possible injury?

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
I couldn’t find a thread discussing this. You know when a dog hurts it’s paw and holds it up and refuses to walk on it? My A. Avic (Metallica) is doing this. I noticed it a while ago and thought it was kinda funny when she would just sit on her web and put it up in the air but now I’ve realized it’s the same paw. I’m concerned maybe she has hurt it? Maybe one of her feeders hurt it or there was an incident when I bred her? I bred her last month so I’m probably just being a nervous mom but I want to make sure everything is okay. I have observed her walking with it held up but I’ve also seen her use it. She destroyed her web the other day so she has been wandering a lot so that’s why I’ve noticed. While she’s perched on the side of the tank she holds it up in the air. It’s really weird. If it was really bothering her she would just disconnect it, right?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Could you get a pic of her injury? Maybe try get a video if you see her moving.
It can happen and most likely disconnects leg herself if it’s bad enough.
Any screening ? Or sharp objects

boina

Lady of the mites
Tarantulas don't show a pain reaction like mammals do, meaning a tarantula will not hold up a paw because it hurts. I really don't know what could be the reason for the behaviour you describe but I would consider either a neurological problem or a mechanical one, like a joint not working properly.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with boina, it’s likely a neurological or mechanical problem. Some pics or videos could shed some more light on the situation though.

However, seen as she seems to be going on about her business and it doesn’t inhibit her I would not worry =) If it was a serious problem you would see serious symptoms (death curl, inability to cling to surfaces etc.)

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I couldn’t find a thread discussing this. You know when a dog hurts it’s paw and holds it up and refuses to walk on it? My A. Avic (Metallica) is doing this. I noticed it a while ago and thought it was kinda funny when she would just sit on her web and put it up in the air but now I’ve realized it’s the same paw. I’m concerned maybe she has hurt it? Maybe one of her feeders hurt it or there was an incident when I bred her? I bred her last month so I’m probably just being a nervous mom but I want to make sure everything is okay. I have observed her walking with it held up but I’ve also seen her use it. She destroyed her web the other day so she has been wandering a lot so that’s why I’ve noticed. While she’s perched on the side of the tank she holds it up in the air. It’s really weird. If it was really bothering her she would just disconnect it, right?
never owned a avic before but i have seen my pamphobeteus platyomma hold two legs up as it walks at times, I figured it was trying to feel the air or something(wasn't a threat posture btw. it was different than the normal threat posture I get when I bother it to water it dish), sorry if this info is not helpful, maybe send picture so i can try and compare if it looks similar.

crystalfreakkk

Arachnosquire
Sorry I got busy and kept forgetting to respond to this. She is still doing it, I feel like she has settled back into her hide more now. I don’t think I know how to upload a video so that may take me a second.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sorry I got busy and kept forgetting to respond to this. She is still doing it, I feel like she has settled back into her hide more now. I don’t think I know how to upload a video so that may take me a second.
AHh just take your time in still sad over a few mystery deaths I’ve had over the years . A few were dks , others just unknown.
Best of luck with video Ts can be hard to film.