Possible injury obese p striata help

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
90370E04-A64F-4B28-A659-D2B4FAC5B124.jpeg B71806E7-B593-46A2-ABF6-6B7DF1E8A602.jpeg
She’s still alive but having trouble moving, also has a small cyst . Anything I can do for first aid ? Maybe buy liquid bandage or something for her ? No bleeding or anything just she’ didn’t look or act right. Something is wrong !!
Hopefully she can live long enough to molt .

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
WHY is she SO FAT?!

I have no constructive advice... Maybe she fell because of that giant abdomen.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
now that is a fatty, I mean normally my pokies will inflate in size when preparing to molt but that is even bigger.

I can't really see it that well, BUT. If it fell and got hurt I would remove all falling hazards. If it is not leaking I wouldn't interfere much, maybe sprinkle some dirt on it just incase. If there is not a tear into the abdomen, then it is not an extreme concern.

stop feeding that thing...please

can I see the enclosure?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I hope she's okay.
Could she be gravid?
No I’ve not bread her she can barely move she’s so fat. I put her in a container with a flat ground so she cannot get hurt . She’s still alive just lethargic, maybe needs to get skinnier. Maybe add soft moss to her pretzel jar?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
No I’ve not bread her she can barely move she’s so fat.
Sorry, didn't know how long you had her -- of course you'd know if you bred her -- I was thinking she might possibly have already been gravid when you got her. (Didn't know if this was a new addition or a T you've had a while).

She is a lovely T.
I notice her rump looks slightly off to one side (which could also be related to her obesity).
And she does appear well fed. Or impacted. (Or gravid). Hope all turns out well for her -- crossing fingers the 'cyst' is nothing that she can't moult out of, and that she suffered no fall.

Best of luck, I am hopeful for you both. :nurse:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Ye
Sorry, didn't know how long you had her -- of course you'd know if you bred her -- I was thinking she might possibly have already been gravid when you got her. (Didn't know if this was a new addition or a T you've had a while).

She is a lovely T.
I notice her rump looks slightly off to one side (which could also be related to her obesity).
And she does appear well fed. Or impacted. (Or gravid). Hope all turns out well for her -- crossing fingers the 'cyst' is nothing that she can't moult out of, and that she suffered no fall.

Best of luck, I am hopeful for you both. :nurse:
yeah she seemed to be doing better today , could be another molt or so until she’s skinnier . How long does it take a pokie to burn off calories she is sitting in one place not even mobile . Glad I removed her from the big tank if not she may had injured herself badly .
What’s impaction?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How long does it take a pokie to burn off calories she is sitting in one place not even mobile .
What’s impaction?
It is difficult to get weight off an adult when they have gotten so large. When they are smaller, that extra weight goes into growth and gets dispersed. When they aren't growing anymore, it has nowhere to go and a really fat spider going into a moult comes out of it a really fat spider.
I have a Brachypelma albopilosum female who came to me much larger than I am comfortable with. She has gained an inch since, but she is still very large. She has a rubbing wound on the underside of her abdomen that could prove very dangerous as it weakens the exoskeleton. It has been a struggle to get her weight down and that wound will likely never go away entirely.
Impaction refers to them not being able to defecate - their feces becomes impacted. There is often signs of dried white feces around the anus along with a bloated abdomen and lethargy. It is most often fatal, although I have heard of a couple of tarantulas surviving with treatment.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
It is difficult to get weight off an adult when they have gotten so large. When they are smaller, that extra weight goes into growth and gets dispersed. When they aren't growing anymore, it has nowhere to go and a really fat spider going into a moult comes out of it a really fat spider.
I have a Brachypelma albopilosum female who came to me much larger than I am comfortable with. She has gained an inch since, but she is still very large. She has a rubbing wound on the underside of her abdomen that could prove very dangerous as it weakens the exoskeleton. It has been a struggle to get her weight down and that wound will likely never go away entirely.
Impaction refers to them not being able to defecate - their feces becomes impacted. There is often signs of dried white feces around the anus along with a bloated abdomen and lethargy. It is most often fatal, although I have heard of a couple of tarantulas surviving with treatment.
She probably would have died
By now if it was impacted. I can check her cage and see , if I see any poop. How do you figure out I’t out? Watch her enclosure?
I saw her grooming !!!! and she spun some web on accident when. Moving .
Still not laid a web Matt down or anything I added moss for softness .

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Sorry I mentioned impaction -- sometimes one tries to be thorough, almost in a defensive way so someone else doesn't chime in with "you forgot about..."
I have no reason to believe it is impaction, sorry if my post seemed full of doom.
I am hopeful a good moult will be a cure-all.
Nothing is guaranteed -- but you have my best wishes and good vibes going her way! :)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I tried my best but she succumbed to the tumor looking thing . Similar to what large theraphosa get a cyst , I could not do idione on a pokie. As they are too skittish and would probably just run And hurt itself even more .
R.I.P. was my oldest pokie Over 10 years old . EEF1BC5C-D93E-4F33-9C0F-9976F848B6C6.jpeg 4003432F-5863-45A1-9773-4A50A03D2B0E.jpeg ECDA8699-F1BA-45F5-8B9B-4EA9DB16CB37.jpeg Poor spider will be missed .

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Sad times , what causes these tumors ? Or obesity did it, my P Miranda both still refuse to eat and skinny but healthy :drowning::sorry:.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I tried my best but she succumbed to the tumor looking thing . Similar to what large theraphosa get a cyst , I could not do idione on a pokie. As they are too skittish and would probably just run And hurt itself even more .
R.I.P. was my oldest pokie Over 10 years old . View attachment 319116 View attachment 319117 View attachment 319118 Poor spider will be missed .
I guess my p ornata with a cyst molted and soon after died . I will -get pictures of the cyst she was over 12 years old though . Refused to eat or drink ... post molt
WHy do older Ts get these ? Rarely could it be Home Depot’s top soil ?
Kept her alive a whole year after I noticed tumor and her acting sickly .

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
WHy do older Ts get these ? Rarely could it be Home Depot’s top soil ?
Kept her alive a whole year after I noticed tumor and her acting sickly .
Because they moult less frequently and that gives those ulcers a lot longer to form before the exoskeleton is replaced. When they are fat and young they moult too frequently for the ulcers to form properly. Once they're an adult, and they're moulting often years apart, those ulcers can take hold and get worse and worse before the exoskeleton is replaced with a fresh one.
The older they are, the less their exoskeleton is being replaced, and the worse they become.
I think this would happen with any and all substrate. We see this way too often, with way too many different substrates being used, to tie it into one product being worse than another.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Because they moult less frequently and that gives those ulcers a lot longer to form before the exoskeleton is replaced. When they are fat and young they moult too frequently for the ulcers to form properly. Once they're an adult, and they're moulting often years apart, those ulcers can take hold and get worse and worse before the exoskeleton is replaced with a fresh one.
The older they are, the less their exoskeleton is being replaced, and the worse they become.
I think this would happen with any and all substrate. We see this way too often, with way too many different substrates being used, to tie it into one product being worse than another.
Ahh I see
Explains the slow demise of the 13-14 year old or older pokie . ADA5827A-96C8-4618-BA87-97687FF43875.jpeg C299EFC5-565B-489D-8060-4EC65169113B.jpeg 29AA8D48-9AC8-4D57-BC30-40967A2A2CB9.jpeg 3BCF675C-9BE2-46A7-9EE0-06C9B263CFFA.jpeg C22392E7-73F8-4B64-92F5-826CAEBB6EAD.jpeg
If you cannot move them from state to state how will the genus survive? Just by very experienced breeders