Possible Hobo Spiders????

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Hi everyone! I have 2 spiders that need an ID. Any ideas as to what they are? I myself am pretty sure of their ID's, but I would like to know what other members think also.

Sorry for the pic quality-they were taken thru glass and plastic at a friend's house. :8o

First 2 pics are of the same spider, 3rd & 4th are of another.

Any and all comments welcomed and appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

davisfam

Arachnoknight
(I just copied my response to another person with the same question, LOL!)

First of all, keep in mind that without a microscope, you may not be able to identify T.agrestis.. Most non-arachnologists attempt using coloration as an identifying feature although this can be one of the least reliable characteristics due to the fact that Hobo spiders have a great variation among other specimens within a species and similar species tend to overlap in appearance to the Hobo spider. You will need to be more discriminating when dealing with Hobo spiders because identification is not an easy task.

-If you do have a microscope or a magnifying glass, there are a few ways of determining between the T. duellica and T. agrestis:
1. If your spider has 3 or 4 pairs of light spots on the lateral portions of the sternum, then it is NOT a Hobo spider. Hobo spiders have a light stripe running down the middle of the sternum. However, be careful because some specimens of the Giant House spider and Barn Funnel-Weaving spiders have spots that can be VERY faint which is why there is the common mix-up between the two species.
2. If your spider has two very distinct longitudinal dark stripes on the top side of the cephalothorax, then it’s NOT a Hobo spider. Hobo spiders have indistinct or diffuse patterns.
3. If your spider has dark rings around the legs, then it’s NOT a Hobo spider. Hobo spiders have uniformly colored legs. The most common spiders with rings around their legs are the Barn Funnel-Weaving spider.
4. Are your spider’s legs and cephalothorax shiny and dark-orange in color? And lacking fine hairs? If so, it’s NOT a Hobo spider. Callobius severus is very common and often submitted as a potential Hobo spider due to the abdomen pattern.
5. Is the extreme fleshy tip of the palp (if a male) long, thin, and finger-like? If so, it’s NOT a Hobo spider. The tip of the palp belonging to a Hobo spider is more blunt.

Bottom line, the only sure way to identify a spider as a Hobo spider is to compare the spider’s reproductive structures that define it as a species. For an advanced beginner, I would compare the male and female reproductive structures to other documented pictures of this species found on the internet or other readings, it’s the only way to really reliably achieve an ID.

The following species are often misidentified as Hobo spiders; T. duellica (T.gigantea/Giant House spider), T. domestica (Barn Funnel-Weaving spider/Domestic House spider), Agelenopsis potteri, Agelenopsis pennsylvanica, and Hololena nedra.

I have heard the behaviors are also quite different between the two species. For instance, the T. duellica is docile for the most part while the Hobo spider is much more defensive and can contain a fearless attitude. Also, I do have a few documents saved on my laptop containing information on the distinction between these two species if you still are having problems or want more details.

Good Luck! and if you need anything else, just IM us! Thanks! :D

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Ah, no... sorry... I should have put that info in my post... :wall:

Forgive that error, please, as I am very tired and wasn't thinking... :8o

Both spiders were collected in Sauerland, Germany... near the Germany/Netherlands border. Both were found in the cellar by my friend. The female was not found in an web, she was found wandering. Maybe searching for a good spot to start her web?

Again, I apologize for not including the location in my post. I will take that as a hint to go to bed now..... {D

Thank you for taking the time to look at them, jsloan-your observations and input are well-respected, and much appreciated by me. If I can provide any more info, let me know. Zzzzzzzzzz...... {D S.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
davisfam, I will read carefully the info you provided when I wake. I'm so tired that I forgot to include the location where these were found... :8o

I left you some info on the other thread... Cheers, all... I'm off to LaLaLand... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... LOL S.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jsloan!! hii !!! im back...
Heres my bedmate last night..

Its very interesting how something in Germany looks so similar ^^

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Germany, well that's a different story! :) There are many more species of Tegenaria in Europe than there are in NA, so I have no idea which one(s) these might be. I think you'd have to ID them by the palp or epigyne to be sure of what you've got.

Beautiful specimens, though.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Germany, well that's a different story! :) There are many more species of Tegenaria in Europe than there are in NA, so I have no idea which one(s) these might be. I think you'd have to ID them by the palp or epigyne to be sure of what you've got.

Beautiful specimens, though.
Yep, count my information out as it was pertaining to the United States not Germany, LOL! :p

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Possibly T. atrica for the top two pics. Are the 3rd and 4th pictures of a male?