Possible First Pede?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
What do you guys recommend for a first centipede or millipede? I have never kept one. I do have 60+ Tarantulas. I would like something colorful. Max price is 40$ each before shipping. I would like to get maybe 2-3 different kinds to start. Im not looking for a pet to handle so something defensive is fine with me. (I would preffer something with a mild venom) Ive heard bites can be harmful or possibly fatal. Is this true for all of them? What would i expect if i got bit? (Please let me know about the one you recommend)Do i have to keep them in a humid/damp enclosure? Thanks for the help guys. :) -Doug P.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Ethmostigmus trigonopodus.

Keep them humid with 5'' of peat moss.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Unless you get a near impossible secondary infection your chance of dying from a centipede bite is absolute zero. At the moment my suggestion would be a Scolopendra heros hybrid third instar if you're looking for a centipede; millipede Thai rainbow or AGBR.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
dang orin, you really want to sell that pede!
i would suggest sc. polymorpha...many color variations and a medium size :clap:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
That pede has interesting colors, grows to be among the largest centipedes, the price isn't at all high, and there are only a few dozen in the world. I'm surprised they didn't sell out in days.
Allright, I'll say a Florida alternans, it's a lot bigger, stronger, and smarter than a polymorpha.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I agree that alternans is smarter. My polymorpha just sits under it's water dish all the time and is kind of boring, but I suppose that behavior is smart because I never see the thing. There are a lot of good starter pedes in my opinion. Just stay away from the common imports like mutilans. Mine died within a week!:confused:

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That pede has interesting colors, grows to be among the largest centipedes, the price isn't at all high, and there are only a few dozen in the world. I'm surprised they didn't sell out in days.
Allright, I'll say a Florida alternans, it's a lot bigger, stronger, and smarter than a polymorpha.
I might get that from you eventually, when I've got some extra cash. It sounds like a cool individual.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I still didnt see anything that caught my eye. Maybe i am just picky. I like lots of color. And if no color then i want one thats mean/animated .. {D

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go for the Asian pedes then... Subspinipes etc.
No pedes are really colorful, like pokies, that are cheap or easy to find.
But IMO they're all very attractive, even plain old S.S.Mutilans.

Insectgal88

Arachnopeon
Ken!

search ken the bug guy on google! He has awesome packaging and his specimines are always fair priced.

:drool:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
search ken the bug guy on google! He has awesome packaging and his specimines are always fair priced.
:drool:
Or i could use my favorites toolbar :p

scolopendra heros arizonensis (banded). it rivals the p. metallica imo.
Thats a nice lookin Pede! :clap: I really like the colors. I remember seeing a very striking pede that was black and red patterned i liked. But i think it was around 200$ for a baby.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
i only paid 35 for this from Orin. great price for a great pede. I like it very much!! :p ken has some of those fan tail centipedes. they look cool but i dont know how hardy they are.