possible brown recluse in my cricket box??? I.D. help please

Hellbender

Arachnopeon
Found this spider in my cricket tub after I emptied about 1,000 crickets into it. I had my hands in this box pulling out stubborn crickets! Some pics I found online made it look like a brown recluse but I have no idea, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Aaron,

Attachments

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutely 100% NOT a recluse. Recluse spiders have a distinctive "violin" shape in the center of the carapace instead of the two stripes down the sides that this spider has. Recluse spiders also have an unmarked abdomen. While they may have slight shading on the abdomen, they don't have distinct markings like this spider has.

Here's a recluse: http://bugguide.net/node/view/796446

Last edited:

Hellbender

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for the response. I thought so too but I wasn't certain especially after seeing some confusing pics online. I've been a member since 2004 but was away from the hobby for several years and now I'm getting back into it again. I just got my first GBB taratula at the pomona reptile super show here in socal last week and I'm excited!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you very much for the response. I thought so too but I wasn't certain especially after seeing some confusing pics online. I've been a member since 2004 but was away from the hobby for several years and now I'm getting back into it again. I just got my first GBB taratula at the pomona reptile super show here in socal last week and I'm excited!
Congratulations on the new GBB! They're fun spiders to keep. I love all the crazy webbing they make - even more than my Avics! There was a lot of good stuff in Pomona this year. I thought I'd probably bring home another tarantula, but ended up with a couple of scorpions instead.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Brown recluse are the pit bulls of the spider world. That is, they're made out to be this terror, but they are not so bad. Don't get me wrong, they are venomous and some people have had terrible reactions. I wouldn't want them in my home, but the black widow is the most venomous spider in North America.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found this spider in my cricket tub after I emptied about 1,000 crickets into it. I had my hands in this box pulling out stubborn crickets! Some pics I found online made it look like a brown recluse but I have no idea, any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Aaron,
crix box spider is Thanatus...probably Thanatus vulgaris

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Brown recluse are the pit bulls of the spider world. That is, they're made out to be this terror, but they are not so bad. Don't get me wrong, they are venomous and some people have had terrible reactions. I wouldn't want them in my home, but the black widow is the most venomous spider in North America.
That's a pretty good analogy. Stigmatized by the media and the masses willingness to be misled and not do a little thinking of their own.

I've got a serious problem 'PIT BULL' up in the hills I encounter on my bike rides. Tooling along one day when out she came like a rocket. I had barely enough time to get my bike stopped, not enough time to get out the dog stick when she leaped into my lap, licking and wriggling. The owner came out and carried her back to the house after a profuse apology. Now when I see her coming I bail off my bike fast, gather her in my arms, drop her back over the fence and boogie before she has a chance to get out again. I wish she wasn't so energetic and exuberant. I'd really like to spend a few minutes cuddling her.

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
That's a pretty good analogy. Stigmatized by the media and the masses willingness to be misled and not do a little thinking of their own.

I've got a serious problem 'PIT BULL' up in the hills I encounter on my bike rides. Tooling along one day when out she came like a rocket. I had barely enough time to get my bike stopped, not enough time to get out the dog stick when she leaped into my lap, licking and wriggling. The owner came out and carried her back to the house after a profuse apology. Now when I see her coming I bail off my bike fast, gather her in my arms, drop her back over the fence and boogie before she has a chance to get out again.
Honestly my favorite breed, despite my chihuahua profile pic.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
While they may have slight shading on the abdomen, they don't have distinct markings like this spider has.
That is your 'tell at a glance' ballpark for a recluse. Abdomen very plain tan without any marking except a slight dorsal stripe. The violin shape may not be obvious and many other species have similar markings. The next way to ballpark a recluse is body to legs, and how it spreads it's legs. Study that image. The overall shape is reminiscent of a heteropoda but it ambles instead of sprints.